closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watcho SM 300 views

Watcho SM 300 views

Hi all

Thinking of picking up one of these as I love the vintage look of them with the wearability

What’s the consensus on them ...date or no date.

Anything to watch out for some are made by Watcho themselves others seem to be made by other watchmakers using Cousins supplied NOS.

Any help much appreciated

Why do you want to know what consensus view is on date inclusion?

Get whichever suits your own needs!

My original 1968 SM300 has a date window and I recently built one (yup, from Cousins parts!) for a friend which also had a date window. I've also had one without and, aesthetically, I would agree with the above (although I may express it differently) - it really is a preference thing.

Personally, I never use the date function on any watch, but it doesn't detract from the look of this particular piece.

One note of caution however - the way to set the date on the movement in the 300 is to continually pull the crown out to its furthest point, which is fine on my original (non screw-down crown) version, but the new cases have a screw down crown, which has a clutch and I recently had to replace the crown on the new version as the outside of the crown had simply pulled off the inner part.

I have no idea if this is a common occurrence, but it may be a factor in your thinking.

You'll love it, whichever way you choose to jump.

I've owned two rebuilds without the date and both watches were great. I don't think either was a Watchco as such, but a rebuild by someone using all the genuine replacement parts and a vintage 552 movement.

I understand that on the rebuilds there can be an issue with the date version, which is well documented in other threads. I think when the crown is out the date is prome to changing when you are trying to reset the time. I'm sure Paul will be along shortly to explain the technical problem that exists. There are no such problems on the no date version.

Get one with a 1171 bracelet with 633 endlinks and you get a real cool vintage look in what is mostly a brand new watch.

Pricewise your are looking around the £2.7k mark. They do pop up on SC from time to time.

I would go no date and think it’s a cleaner more desirable look. I haven’t investigated recently but cousins had run out of non date dials and obviously won’t be re stocking so that may influence your decision

Thanks guys

and thanks for info re date possible issue which i had heard mention hence question

think i will look for a no date

regards
    Tim

Make sure you try one before you buy. These are based on 1960's technology and the bracelets are really not that comfortable or robust. They feel very rattly.

The watch itself although fantastically looking is also way behind the quality of watches available now. Take the Blackbay as an example. Its in house, longer power reserve, better bezel movement, smoother seconds sweep etc etc.

A great looking watch but just try one out before parting with the cash.

Master
    I'd go no date all day long and on the mesh. I don't think the bracelets match the lugs well at all but that's personal preference right there!

I bought a donor watch and necessary parts and had a watchmaker service the movement and assemble the kit. I don't buy watches with the date function so that was never a consideration for me. That was six years ago and the watch is one I really enjoy. I tried a couple of bracelets, an 1171 and a 1630 (I think) and didn't really care for them. I wear it now on an Omega Barenia strap with OEM deployant.