closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 5,001 to 5,015 of 5015

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hi all!

pulled the trigger on the Tesla Y lease deal (tesla direct) - but now is the quandary of getting a home charger - any suggestions or recommendations?

Also have switched to octopus energy so will move over to one of their EV tariffs!

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Hi all!

pulled the trigger on the Tesla Y lease deal (tesla direct) - but now is the quandary of getting a home charger - any suggestions or recommendations?

Also have switched to octopus energy so will move over to one of their EV tariffs!
    I've got an Ohme Home Pro. Had a few teething problems but its been flawless since. Good integration with Octopus Intelligent

Master
    Hi all!

I’ve got a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, it’s pretty small an unobtrusive and the App works well. You can also operate it/set timers via Bluetooth as well so you’re not relying on Cloud Services etc.

I haven’t got Octopus, but I believe it’s compatible with their smart EV tariffs where it charges at cheapest rate/surplus energy generation, and it plays very nicely with my wife’s Tesla and my VW. Doesn’t like the mother in laws Zoe when she visits though, but they’re notoriously fussy so she has to use our aptly named Granny Charger via a 3 pin plug.

The Ohme’s are good as well, and have a working relationship with Octopus so they tend to get new features first etc.

Ive got an Autel charger at home & work on the basis we use their diagnostic systems and theyre very good. Its been faultless so far and compatible with octopus EV tariffs

Hi all!

I have a Simpson and partners charger which I rate very highly

I also have a charging lead from this guy which has a button to open the Tesla charging flap which I find very handy

https://www.evchargeking.com/en/tesla-charging-cables

Craftsman
    Just had a Zappi charger fitted at the house and I have ordered a Tesla Model 3 as my next company car.

It will be a big change from the manual box 3 series BMW I currently have.

The brief test drive I had in the model 3 really impressed me, but I'm getting a bit nervous now as the date for handing back my BMW approaches.

I'm sure it will be a real mindset change for me but it will work out fine in the end.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Just had a Zappi charger fitted at the house and I have ordered a Tesla Model 3 as my next company car.

It will be a big change from the manual box 3 series BMW I currently have.

The brief test drive I had in the model 3 really impressed me, but I'm getting a bit nervous now as the date for handing back my BMW approaches.

I'm sure it will be a real mindset change for me but it will work out fine in the end.
    I was in exactly the same position diving into the EV world with a Model 3 Performance in September 2020. The learning curve is steep but within an hour you will feel at home with one peddle driving and you will never look back.
    I am briefly back in a new M Sport 1 Series and it’s like going back in time, I can’t get back into a Tesla quick enough.

Enjoy

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I was in exactly the same position diving into the EV world with a Model 3 Performance in September 2020. The learning curve is steep but within an hour you will feel at home with one peddle driving and you will never look back.
    I am briefly back in a new M Sport 1 Series and it’s like going back in time, I can’t get back into a Tesla quick enough.

Enjoy

Pitch
    What happened to the S you picked up? Or did you not get it on the end?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What happened to the S you picked up? Or did you not get it on the end?
    Hiya mate.

Not pulled the trigger yet. Personal circumstances dictated that we reduced to one car and it had turned into a competition to see how long we could manage, wifey had Scottish blood………

Majority of my business trips have utilised public transport which even in rural Suffolk has been fine and with ALL bus journeys 2 quid it has been a very cheap period. But my new co is gathering pace and a purchase is looming very soon.

No brainier for me, electric and Tesla Model S.

Pitch

Hi all!

All depends on the mileage you do. If you do low mileage with the occasional isolated long journey then I'd recommend sticking with the granny charger and Octopus Intelligent. You'll benefit from the whole house getting cheap electric after a long journey, and normally the granny charger can top up frequent short journeys.

If you're doing sustained long journeys then wall charger is the way to go. Just don't assume you need one if the former is true ;-)

Just sharing some recent experience. Few weeks ago I sold my Tesla Model3 Long Range. It was a 2021 model (China built) which I owned for 6 months. Bought with 104k miles on the clock, sold with 106k miles. Ran absolutely faultlessly. Was an absolute joy to drive, and battery range and performance didn't seem any different to my previous Model3 which was on 70k miles, and seemed to get similar mileage to relatively new and low mileage cars.

Understandably there's a few concerns about battery range and reliability. Not saying there won't be issues, but then again ICE engines go bang occasionally, so it may be comparable. I certainly didn't worry about it and had 6 months and 2k miles trouble free motoring.

Picked up a 2018 Jaguar iPace S now, on 57k miles. Totally different car but still nice in its own way. Has a few issues which I need to resolve but looking forward to another 6 months with it before passing it on. Trouble is Jag and Octopus parted ways a few months ago so having to charge with the granny charger in the off-peak period. Argghhhh.

I’ve been put off the ipace by the horror stories about all JLR products recently. So have many others if the price of an ipace is anything to go by.

There are a couple of cheap Tesla model S on eBay at the moment with 350,000 and 450,000 miles on the clock. I’d expect them to get close to a million before the battery is anywhere near useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve been put off the ipace by the horror stories about all JLR products recently. So have many others if the price of an ipace is anything to go by.

There are a couple of cheap Tesla model S on eBay at the moment with 350,000 and 450,000 miles on the clock. I’d expect them to get close to a million before the battery is anywhere near useless.
    Yep, there are some real high-mileage S's out there. Most of Amsterdam taxi's were S's last time I was there. They seem to be wearing well, and with little to service.

I'll be honest, the tech in the iPace is miles behind the Tesla. The GUI is slow and non-intuitive. In a weeks ownership I've noticed that the front windscreen is leaking somewhere or the coolant hoses are leaking (both common issues). There is a big battery issue where people can only charge to 70%, which luckily this one doesn't have. It's covered by the 8 year/100k mile battery warranty.

I picked this one up cheap (it would be cheapest in UK if I put in on Autotrader), so it will likely be 6 months free or at worst cheap motoring. The Tesla took 4 months to sell (mileage and time of year), and I expect this to take just as long, so it will be on Autotrader in 2 months :-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-69022771

BBC saying EV sales falling but the article is all over the place, one interesting bit is the US putting 100% tariff on chinese electric cars

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-69022771

BBC saying EV sales falling but the article is all over the place, one interesting bit is the US putting 100% tariff on chinese electric cars
    It is also, as usual, very Tesla centric. Like the uptake of EVs depends on the success of one EV manufacturer with a limited and aging model range. There are some very compelling models out there now from other manufacturers.

There are of course many people waiting patiently for the EV sky to fall in, but generally across Europe BEV sales are up 3.8% versus the same quarter last year.

https://www.acea.auto/pc-registratio...-market-share/

The same report shows quite a rise in hybrid vehicle sales, probably reflecting the fact that manufacturers have to get fleet emissions down to avoid/minimise fines and also the general interest in electrically propelled vehicles from the general public, albeit ones not ready to let go of petrol just yet.

It’s just a slowing in the rate of growth of EV sales, but every day more and more EVs are hitting the road.

The US putting punitive tariffs on Chinese EVs is a shame, they’ll miss out on some good models, some of China’s export EVs are excellent cars. If BYD and Nio take off here they’ll create a lot of jobs in a declining sector even if they’re not manufactured here.