closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Back in time

Back in time

With heavy heart I accepted that at age 65 I was never going to free-dive, sail a yacht, fly an aeroplane, explore unseen jungles or drive a racing car. So that’s a few bucket-list items I could tippex out. But I did have a birthday, and a pension, and you know the story, a new watch seemed like an awfully good idea.

I wondered what a bank manager, a GP, a head-teacher, or an accountant might have chosen fifty years ago? Something that told the time, and the date with maybe a second hand to check the odd pulse. And a nice strong case in case it bumped against a filing cabinet or a stapler. It took a bit of finding, there are not many older style timepieces in amongst the bezels, dials, sub-dials, chronographs, tachymeters, and buttons various.

I discovered a stainless steel Omega Deville Prestige on a black leather strap with folding buckle sitting quietly in the Omega store. The very chap. It was also probably the cheapest thing omega sell apart from after shave. I’ve only had it for a couple of months but I love it, and it gets a surprising number of favourable comments.

Here’s the watch. https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...42413402002001

Interesting you said 50 years ago, about the start of the quartz crisis.
    I was not alive to see it but i can imagine the public being blown away in the 70`s.

By the time i was old enough to have a watch in the 80`s i had no knowledge that mechanical watches even existed, i thought they all ran on batteries.
    How times changed in 10 - 15 years.

Blog Entries
    I’m only 5 years (and a bit less) behind you. That is a fine looking watch. I had one similar for a while.

Omega still make some hidden gems.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

^^ The Chronograph version of that watch is superb Martin and it came on a brilliantly engineered modern take on a beads of rice bracelet. I still lust for one 20 years since its release but I am yet to spot one for sale.

What a beautiful watch! And as a bonus, it isn't too late to freedive 😊

Craftsman
    Just written a similar thread, in that I'm 1 year behind you, 64, and wondering about a birthday watch. My clocks would have been included, but a bit difficult at to wear at the dinner table. Lovely idea though to celebrate a special day. Enjoy.