closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some advice on a 'stolen' watch please...

Threaded View

Master
    Blog Entries

Some advice on a 'stolen' watch please...

My dear fellow forumers, I find myself in a bit of a predicament and would like some advice.....

I was chatting to one of my friends a few months ago as he is into watches. I mentioned I was selling a couple if he was interested. One of them was my IWC 3717. He wasn't but he thought one of his clients might be. Bearing in mind I've known the guy 15 or so years, I agreed to let him have the watch to show his client.
    A couple of months went passed and I emailed him to see how he was getting on. I was told his client's son had flown out to geneva to show the watch to his dad. Not best pleased by this point as I had been assured it would stay in my friend's possession. Anyway, was reassured that there was nothing to worry about, his client was worth millions etc..etc.. Anyway, this has now gone on for months, the excuses get wilder and wilder, (they were busy with their interests in Kiev, Client had routine operation and caught MRSA, clients son's child had accident involving loosing her toes, and on it went).

Basically, a good old fashioned mugging off.

I emailed him a few days ago and told him if I didn't have the money or the watch within 7 days, I would be contacting the police. He emailed back to say he was going to talk to his solicitor to see if he could sort something with his client.
    At this point, I am 99% certain that there was never a client, he has probably sold the watch as I have since found out he isn't having the best time financially. Stupid when you consider I still have the box and papers.
    I've not seen him since he took the watch, (I used to see him at work every month or so).
    I will contact the police as I told him but I've got the horrible feeling I'm going to be fed the old 'It's a civil matter' line.

If that's the case, I suppose my options are to either take him to court, (a waste of time and money more than likely), swallow the loss, (not going to happen), or go around and fill the fat b****** in, (only joking of course ;) ). I'm also considering talking to his wife. She may be unaware of the financial mess and could pay up out of embarrassment.

Advice wise, I'm open to suggestions and would like to here from anybody who knows where I would stand legally. I have all the emails exchanged between parties which I'm happy to pass on to anyone in the know.

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 21st June 2014 at 17:38. Reason: To remove swearing :(