closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use the bezel on mechanic watches to adjust time?

Anybody use the bezel on mechanic watches to adjust time?

Every dive watch has a 60 minute watch bezel on them for dive times that can also be used to adjust the time when the watch gains or loses time. Most automatic watches gain time though when you wear them. Instead of adjusting the time every week or so. Set the watch 5 or 10 minutes slow, and as the movement gains time adjust the dive bezel, and then reset the watch when you want to after it gains 5 or 10 minutes. This will give you 10 or 30 minutes of use before having to reset your watch after a month or so. I say 15 minutes is the cut off time because the hour hand is hard to tell what side of the hour it is.

Grand Master

Re: Anybody use the bezel on mechanic watches to adjust time?

nope, you lost me totally there....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

never tried that....i usually use the power of my smugness and self importance to adjust the time in my watch.......

Master
    Blog Entries

No, as I use the bezel for timing things.

:scratch:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

:? don't think it'll catch on

Craftsman

My automatic watches generally stop between uses anyway as I wear them each once a week, so I just reset when needed. Even if I wore them more often I'm not sure bezel adjustment would work for me as I'm a little OCD when it comes to alignment, but if it works for some people, that's great :D

Do you see the dive bezel minute marker lines line up with the minute markers? Well, if you move the dive bezel every time the minutes hand gains time you can wait to adjust the time at least for a month or so before resetting the watch.

great idea! theres an interesting article on this at numptycentral.org
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Riseman Weather
    Every dive watch has a 60 minute watch bezel on them for dive times that can also be used to adjust the time when the watch gains or loses time. Most automatic watches gain time though when you wear them. Instead of adjusting the time every week or so. Set the watch 5 or 10 minutes slow, and as the movement gains time adjust the dive bezel, and then reset the watch when you want to after it gains 5 or 10 minutes. This will give you 10 or 30 minutes of use before having to reset your watch after a month or so. I say 15 minutes is the cut off time because the hour hand is hard to tell what side of the hour it is.

Que?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    great idea! theres an interesting article on this at numptycentral.org
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    No, as I use the bezel for timing things.
    I can do that too, if I remember how many minutes the watch is ahead. But, I usually don't. Anyway, the reason why you can use the dive watch bezel to keep track of time is because most divers reset their watch to the correct time before a dive. That is the only way to do it right. But, most people aren't divers, but dive watches make great everyday watches because they are tough.

Master

Do you mean moving the 12 mark to alter the zero-point? (And if you don't know what I mean, I don't know what you mean :lol: )

Nice idea, however if it were me:

(1) If I was that bothered about accuracy, I wouldn't be wearing a mechanical watch.
    (2) If my mechanical watch was really gaining or losing time I'd get it regulated.

That seems like a very complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    Do you mean moving the 12 mark to alter the zero-point? (And if you don't know what I mean, I don't know what you mean :lol: )
    Yes, every time the time gains time.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian

(1) If I was that bothered about accuracy, I wouldn't be wearing a mechanical watch.
    (2) If my mechanical watch was really gaining or losing time I'd get it regulated.

That seems like a very complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :lol:
    Yeah, that is all good, but then some persons is messing with your watch. But, to be honest. If you can afford an expensive dive watch. Then, you might as well get it regulated all the time. I am talking about the common person's dive watch for common people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy

Que?

:D perfect

Yeah, that is all good, but then some persons is messing with your watch. But, to be honest. If you can afford an expensive dive watch. Then, you might as well get it regulated all the time. I am talking about the common person's dive watch for common people.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    Yes, every time the time gains time.
    This is a wind-up isn't it?
    (genuinely didn't intend the pun :( )

Que?
    Never mind him, he's from Barcelona.

I'm in a bit of a quandary with this - my automatics are accurate to within seconds a day. My Seiko 6105 was last adjusted 10 days ago, and it's currently at about +14 seconds. At this rate I'd need to wait 40 days to be able to use the bezel as the minute reference. That's a bit much waiting, especially since I'd have to wear another watch on my other wrist to time stuff. It would take me too much effort to not adjust the time in this period.

I think it's an overcomplicated solution to a problem that can be solved by simpler means (using the crown to adjust time, provided you care). I don't think I could be trained to read minutes off the bezel instead of normal indices.

Banned

Bizarro!

Sounds like much more of a palava than resetting the time, and it's daft to boot.

i dont know why no one takes this seriously i think its an excellent idea. i used to do this the same, until one day my bezel must have caught on something and rotated so what i thought was 6 minutes fast was actually the right time and i lost my train but luckily the previous train was running late so i caught that one but then i hadnt realised so on the way back home i got the previous train to the one i was meant to get but it was actually the right one because my normal one was cancelled and if i hadnt used this method to adjust my watch then i wouldnt have been able to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian

I am talking about the common person's dive watch for common people.
    isnt that what jarvis used to wear?

I am talking about the common person's dive watch for common people.
    isnt that what jarvis used to wear?
    She came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge,
    she studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College,

In principle Its a good idea if only I wasnt so anal about having my pip lined up to 12'o'clock

i dont know why no one takes this seriously i think its an excellent idea. i used to do this the same, until one day my bezel must have caught on something and rotated so what i thought was 6 minutes fast was actually the right time and i lost my train but luckily the previous train was running late so i caught that one but then i hadnt realised so on the way back home i got the previous train to the one i was meant to get but it was actually the right one because my normal one was cancelled and if i hadnt used this method to adjust my watch then i wouldnt have been able to get home.
    Cool story mate. Yeah, as long as you remember where you put the bezel markers at every morning you will always remember where to put the bezel back if it moves.

Actually been done before, it is how Weems (or second setter) watches work - named after Philip Van Horn Weems, who came up with the idea.

For dead-reckoning navigation, accurate timing of flight between landmarks is vital. At the time of Weems watches were not very accurate so a radio sigal was emitted every minute in order to check the accuracy, to the second, of the pilot's watch or clock. It was realised that stopping or interfering with the running of the watch would damage the movement, so Weems had the bright idea of fitting a bezel so that when the signal was heard the bezel could be moved to line up the '0' with where the second hand was pointing.

Here's what they look like

Cool story mate. Yeah, as long as you remember where you put the bezel markers at every morning you will always remember where to put the bezel back if it moves.
    problem is i once had a badass diving watch with bidirectional bezel , it was soooo badass but the timekeeping was sooooo bad one time i couldnt work out whether it was 28 minutes fast or 32 minutes slow so i hocked it in and then later i found out the reason it was keeping time so bad because my mum was turning the auto winder off at night to save on electric. ill never buy a rolex again

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib
    In principle Its a good idea if only I wasnt so anal about having my pip lined up to 12'o'clock
    I would imagine that besides being a dive watch. Any dive watch with a screw down crown is a ocean going watch that is design to keep moisture out of the watch at all costs. That means you can keep using the bezel to keep track of the time without reseting the time or date. After all, there are people out on the ocean for months on end in a moisture filled environment all day long. Sometimes, knowing the date is more important than knowing the time on the ocean. If you know what I mean.

Banned

turns out my mum was turning the auto winder off to save on electric :twisted:
    No way! You have eee-lec-tri-citee in Engerland now too?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Not in all parts on Narfulk yet but we're getting there :albino:

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Just Norfolk (for now).......

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Actually been done before, it is how Weems (or second setter) watches work - named after Philip Van Horn Weems, who came up with the idea.

For dead-reckoning navigation, accurate timing of flight between landmarks is vital. At the time of Weems watches were not very accurate so a radio sigal was emitted every minute in order to check the accuracy, to the second, of the pilot's watch or clock. It was realised that stopping or interfering with the running of the watch would damage the movement, so Weems had the bright idea of fitting a bezel so that when the signal was heard the bezel could be moved to line up the '0' with where the second hand was pointing.

Here's what they look like

Thanks mate. Now that is cool. I knew I wasn't the only one who realized this idea too.

Don't think this would work for me because I have my watch running 10 mins fast anyway - coz I'm a little weird like that.

I'm not that bothered about accuracy anyway.

Good to see that the OP is taking some of the humorous responses in good grace.

I gotta say, I found the OP confusing too. :?

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays

Que?

:D perfect
    Look leave the man's daughter out of it ok!
    It's just a matter of time...

Wow, that guy Philip Van Horn Weems really had to multi-task flying an airplane and adjusting his watch's time every minute.

Blog Entries

Sometimes, knowing the date is more important than knowing the time on the ocean. If you know what I mean.
    Surely too much sherbet before dinner???????
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

It's like a horological Top Tip.

Banned

Epic thread. It's the written equivalent of that Simpsons episode with the character that keeps stepping on rakes :0)

Timezone becomes Twilightzone :toothy7:

Master

Pointless.

Craftsman

This forum's had an interesting couple of months!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's 5minutes I could've been looking at porn. :cry:

I don't know why, but posts like this always make me think of... :D :D :D

:D :D :D
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77
    That's 5minutes I could've been looking at porn. :cry:
    Would you have used your bezel to time the 5 minutes (compensating for fast running of course) :lol: