closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I must remember to keep my mouth shut

Craftsman

I must remember to keep my mouth shut

Having started a topic last week about 'what are Rolex doing....' I thought I ought to go and see one in the flesh

I do have to say it looks so different in 'real life'. The weight felt great, the ceramic dial just shone. I didn't even notice the lugs, just wonderful.
    So much so that......

I stand corrected, and should trust Rolex know what they doing.
    Note to self, 'keep your mouth shut until you know the facts' :lol:

Re: I must remember to keep my mouth shut

Nope, you were right first time. The one in the middle and the one on the right look great; the lugs and crown guards on the one on the left make it look as ugly as a robber's dog - I wouldn't give Rolex threepence for it, Hans Wilsdorf will be turning in his grave that his company is producing such monstrosities today.

Quote Originally Posted by 146edward
    Having started a topic last week about 'what are Rolex doing....' I thought I ought to go and see one in the flesh

I do have to say it looks so different in 'real life'. The weight felt great, the ceramic dial just shone. I didn't even notice the lugs, just wonderful.
    So much so that......

I stand corrected, and should trust Rolex know what they doing.
    Note to self, 'keep your mouth shut until you know the facts' :lol:
    Did you go out and all 3 ???

Nowt wrong with this trio.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Nope, you were right first time. The one in the middle and the one on the right look great; the lugs and crown guards on the one on the left make it look as ugly as a robber's dog - I wouldn't give Rolex threepence for it, Hans Wilsdorf will be turning in his grave that his company is producing such monstrosities today.

Slight over reaction...........

Craftsman

Love your reaction to your first thread! TZ-UK could get expensive!

A nice trio.. I am sure 99% of the population would think you have three identical watches.

Me - I like the 1680. A lot.

Hi 146edward.

You said "I must remember to keep my mouth shut"

I think you are the one who could help me to deal with my wife "to keep her mouth shut". . . every time I mention buying one Rolex watch :D

:lol:

Pardon my ignorance, but why on earth would you buy 3 near identical and vastly expensive watches? :roll:

Beautiful watches, you can't beat a rolie for class and investment etc. Plus you can never have to many! Love em. :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist
    16800, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad you like your new watch. I can see why people do, but they look bulky and inelegant to my eyes, even though the overall dimensions haven't changed. Bracelet and clasp - great; ceramic - indifferent really; case - not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist
    16800, isn't it?
    Matt dial and date - they all look the same to me :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by CARRERA74
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK

Slight over reaction...........
    He's just not been enlightened yet :lol:

Fantastic 3 there, mate.
    The two on the right are without questions, classic.
    I quite like the ceramic one. I think the bigger luck goes well with theincrease in proportion.

Wear in good health

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PowerStation
    Pardon my ignorance, but why on earth would you buy 3 near identical and vastly expensive watches? :roll:
    welcome to the madness. I used to think that way, now I see them as vastly different!!

welcome to the madness. I used to think that way, now I see them as vastly different!!
    What am I missing here? The middle one says sea dweller and the other 2 submariner. However all 3 look bloody alike. What's the difference in layman's terms?

My Hulkmariner is a superb watch, I just don't get the problem -other than the grotesque prices Rolex wants us to pay- with the new Subs , the fit and finish are are spot on and they wear right !
    It's without question not as elegant as it's predessesor but for me the new watch now feels a little more solid and stable on the wrist, has a better clasp, a ceramic bezel and comes in funky green :mrgreen: I love it, go on nip out, max the old c/c and treat yourself, you know you want to...
    Cheers
    joe.

What a diverse trio :wink:

A nice addition. Seeing the three together like that really highlights the subtle differences, but especially the fat lugs to the left. In terms of favourites, I am leaning to the far right :wink:
    Gray

Craftsman

I'd be happy with one. Not sure I'd want three almost identical watches. But congrats on your purchases. They all look great.

[/quote]
    What am I missing here? The middle one says sea dweller and the other 2 submariner. However all 3 look bloody alike. What's the difference in layman's terms?[/quote]

Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic in this explanation (as that's the only level I operate on :wink: ), but you are right that the middle one is a seadweller, the one on the right is an older model submariner and the one on the left is the most recent incarnation - the so called "ceramic".

If you look at the lugs on the watch on the left you will see that the lugs are more pronounced, which some (myself included), see as a little brutish. However, it is still a lovely watch and has some technical improvements compared to earlier iterations even though I personally prefer the aesthetics of the older model.

The seadweller in the centre is a discontinued model, which does not have a cyclops and is physically thicker than the submariner, which is necessitated by the greater depth rating.

That's a very brief, very simplistic and quite possibly misleading synopsis. I hope it helps a little. If you stick around here you will learn oodles about the submariner and seadweller, and you too will be able to bore friends, relations and passers-by for hours on end with the subject.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by spickles72
    What am I missing here? The middle one says sea dweller and the other 2 submariner. However all 3 look bloody alike. What's the difference in layman's terms?
    Oh dear.

I think you need a 5513 in there just to mix up the date / no date balance or you run the risk of these all looking quite similar :wink:

Enjoy your new purchase but I am still leaning far to the right on the new Rolex versus old, it is still a step too far IMHO and your photo confirms that even more for me.

You must be a Wife! :roll:

The three nicest watches about, without a doubt. I don´t get the dislike for the 116610, the case is just right, the ceramic bezel insert a work of art, and you can hardly the see the Rolex engraving on the rehaut when you wear the watch, where´s the problem?

Much to learn you have, young Jedi....

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    You must be a Wife! :roll:
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have to say i'm not keen on what Rolex have been doing to their watches of late and this photo confirms it for me, its not just the lugs, but also the crown guards, just too big in my eyes.

To be fair, its still a lovely watch, just not as lovely as the old ones.

I definately prefer the maxi dial though.

The other thing thats very apparent in this picture is how much smaller the dial is on a Seadweller compared to a submariner, or is a trick of the photo?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Green
    The other thing thats very apparent in this picture is how much smaller the dial is on a Seadweller compared to a submariner, or is a trick of the photo?
    You are right the dial on a Sea dweller is quite a bit smaller and the watch is taller. Not something that is a big issue, but I have to say I do like the way the new Sub sits very close to the wrist. It's very comfortable and the glide lock is fantastic. For years Rolex have been slated for their poor bracelets, good to see that they have produced something truly impressive. I still love my 16800 and Sea dweller both for different reasons. To my eyes as I've already said very different.
    I really did try my best not to like the new Sub, but I would encourage people to go and try one on. I was shocked at how different it looked on the wrist and even the best photo's can't show that, plus there is something about the weight of it that feels just great.

Grand Master

I was the same as you, i slated the maxi case when i saw the pictures, but that's just it, it's pictures that people look at and make their mind up about, i've been there

The bracelet looks so skinny in the picture, but it's a false image, because on the wrist all you see is the watch case and the bracelet is not really noticed, every aspect of the new Subs been improved, i have the new LV and it's just exactly what i wanted in a rolex, no more rattly bracelets, a nice smooth bezel, clear maxi dial, and a bit more of a beefier look, but without adding any real size.

I have to say i'm not keen on what Rolex have been doing to their watches of late and this photo confirms it for me, its not just the lugs, but also the crown guards, just too big in my eyes.

if you prefer the maxi dial, buy an old LV And stick in a black bezel insert. The perfect modern sub before they ruined a classic tool watch. And yes, the combo mentioned is what I'm wearing right now so I'm somewhat biased!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad

if you prefer the maxi dial, buy an old LV And stick in a black bezel insert. The perfect modern sub before they ruined a classic tool watch. And yes, the combo mentioned is what I'm wearing right now so I'm somewhat biased!

I have thought of doing this, but I have come to realise i'm not keen on gloss dials and sapphire, so my plan is to sell my seadweller 16600 and buy a 1680 when I can sell on SC again.

I had a 1680 once before but let it go when times were tight.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad

I used to have that, but the cheap bracelet was a negative, and the bezel was a bit cheap as well, not what you really want on a watch over 3k when i bought it. It's also a hell of a fiddle to replace the bezel insert

Craftsman

Just think of all the well designed, nicely engineered watches you could get for that budget :twisted:

Craftsman

yea like the new sub :P :P