closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show your Seikos.

Hybrid View

Master
    Is it so wrong that I'm drooling on my keyboard here? Some lovely Seikos in this thread. Gregory's digital is well cool IMH. Like Jneds I too got my first Seiko for my birthday in 81. One of those calculator jobs with the teeny tiny buttons. I was near welded to that thing until the bracelet fell apart. I still have it somewhere, in "well used condition". :) Still works mind you.

When you consider that when the Seiko guys showed up in the watch chronometer trials in the 60's they were regularly beating all comers in the prizes and only Zenith and Longines were holding the side up(IIRC Patek, Rolex and a few others got their bottoms handed to them on a plate). In the end the local Swiss got so peed off with them winning they changed the rules to exclude them. That's a prize in of itself. While the Swiss were getting together to build the first automatic chrono, Seiko built theirs(6139) a column wheel, vertical clutch, auto that was smaller than the Swiss ones and got to the actual market ahead of them by a couple of months. The fact you can get a vintage one today for a few hundred quid, while the Swiss versions go for multiples of that is amazing to me.

Their movements don't usually have any fancy adornments and finishing of the top Swiss names, but they seem to be near bulletproof. One example I can think of was a mate's diver(the particular model escapes me). The seals had gone and he wouldn't be the gentlest of souls, so the dial showed clear water damage, the case looked like it had been dug outa King Kong's footprint and when he asked me to look inside at the movement, you could see corrosion all over the place. It looked like a scrapyard in December. Timekeeping? Even in that state, within 10 seconds a day. Seiko, the Tonka trucks of watches. :D

Crap picture, and in the middle of a date change.. But still beautiful.. ;)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Crap picture, and in the middle of a date change.. But still beautiful.. ;)

Top watch 🔝🔝

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Is it so wrong that I'm drooling on my keyboard here? Some lovely Seikos in this thread. Gregory's digital is well cool IMH. Like Jneds I too got my first Seiko for my birthday in 81. One of those calculator jobs with the teeny tiny buttons. I was near welded to that thing until the bracelet fell apart. I still have it somewhere, in "well used condition". :) Still works mind you.

When you consider that when the Seiko guys showed up in the watch chronometer trials in the 60's they were regularly beating all comers in the prizes and only Zenith and Longines were holding the side up(IIRC Patek, Rolex and a few others got their bottoms handed to them on a plate). In the end the local Swiss got so peed off with them winning they changed the rules to exclude them. That's a prize in of itself. While the Swiss were getting together to build the first automatic chrono, Seiko built theirs(6139) a column wheel, vertical clutch, auto that was smaller than the Swiss ones and got to the actual market ahead of them by a couple of months. The fact you can get a vintage one today for a few hundred quid, while the Swiss versions go for multiples of that is amazing to me.

Their movements don't usually have any fancy adornments and finishing of the top Swiss names, but they seem to be near bulletproof. One example I can think of was a mate's diver(the particular model escapes me). The seals had gone and he wouldn't be the gentlest of souls, so the dial showed clear water damage, the case looked like it had been dug outa King Kong's footprint and when he asked me to look inside at the movement, you could see corrosion all over the place. It looked like a scrapyard in December. Timekeeping? Even in that state, within 10 seconds a day. Seiko, the Tonka trucks of watches. :D
    Best post I've read for a long time.

Thank you.

Used to have a black dialed Monster, an SKX009 and an SKXA053 "Bullet" mod, currently have an SBPG001 Spirit, an SBGA003 GS and an SKX009 mod.

Master
    Current line-up....

SRP 227:

Two Samurais:

And a '5':

My beloved Japanese.

Vintage Tuna

Master
    A Seiko SLD 005.

[/URL]

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    What model is this and where did you get the strap?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Current line-up....

SRP 227:

Two Samurais:

And a '5':

Just Beautiful!

Just the one at the moment and the only vintage piece in my collection.

6105 8000 by AndyR2011, on Flickr

Master

Keep Them Coming

Best Thread ive read for a while.
    The older Seiko's are stunning.

Here's my 2, worn in rotation & someone has already beaten me to putting the Arnie up!

And the orange Monster, which needs no introduction, best VFM dive watch.

Used to have a black monster which I sold to my dad & a modded monster

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Just Beautiful!
    +1 Very Nice

And a '5':

This is an amazing looking watch.... Which model is it and is the strap a Hirsch?

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post

I'm a big Seiko fan but your precis contains a lot of internet lore.

Seiko mainly entered quartz watches into the competitions, their earlier mech watches did very badly in the mid sixties and finished in the high hundreds IIRC.

Seiko determined to do better and did in fact improve their placings as the years went on but say they thrashed the opposition is rather far fetched.

The reason the observatory competitions were stopped was not because Seiko won but because mechanical watches were seen as passe and everybody was getting into quartz.

As regards the first auto chronograph, three firms completed them at about the same time. The Breitling-Buren-Heuer combo was just a DD module on a Buren micro rotor. The Zenith El Primero was a fully integrated three sub dial auto, the Seiko 6139 was a single dial without sub seconds (unless you count the centre chrono second) so was somewhat lacking but Seiko pushed it forward to try and get the first auto chrono mantle.

Going by the nomenclature, the two dial 6138 should have been released first but wasn't ready in time so the 6139 was put out.

As I said, I am a Seiko fan but over the years a lot of misinformation has been spread about historical facts including in Seiko's own, "Journey through time", something I have posted about in the past.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...light=lassalle
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Only have two at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm a big Seiko fan but your precis contains a lot of internet lore.
    As ever Sir, I stand corrected*. It's good for me, otherwise I lose the run of myself. Well it's likely I'll keep losing the run of myself, but this way actual experts will keep me in check. Well... until the next waffle exercise on my part. :D

Still I do so love this thread. It's like the floodgates have been opened, almost to a love that dare not speak its name. My username is ______ and I'm a Seikoholic. *fervent clapping from the gallery*. So far I have remained sober, but this thread and these pics are tempting me. *rings sponsor to hear talk of vintage Longines and Zenith to keep me safe from the dark side*

It's not working. :)

TL:DR? Feck off N.C, stop showing me up. :D

*when someone uses the word 'precis' correctly, you just know you've been owned and it's best to leave the field at that point.
    Last edited by Wibbs; 19th April 2014 at 23:42.