closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speedmaster Professional - Regrets?

Craftsman

Regrets

Zenith was a brand that captured my interest on the chrono market.

I think the appeal for a lot of people regards the speedmaster is the price point, especially in the current market but it does lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
    Did you find a better alternative for similar money? A quick search for chronographs in a similar price bracket reveals lots of Breitlings and Tags, which I don’t like - although the Breitling which I own for sentimental reasons is exceptionally well built... Maybe IWC or Zenith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Zenith was a brand that captured my interest on the chrono market.

I think the appeal for a lot of people regards the speedmaster is the price point, especially in the current market but it does lack.
    The point though with a Speedie is buy well and you’ve got a little treasure . Ok so we are not talking Daytona return but you can roughly compare speedies of any vintage against original rrp with the other great must have the Sub.

Money retention is not all of course and nor should it be, however I would more confidently buy a Speedie than an El Primero. What ever the quality argument a Speedie can be flipped and quickly with minimal loss if you buy right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    The point though with a Speedie is buy well and you’ve got a little treasure . Ok so we are not talking Daytona return but you can roughly compare speedies of any vintage against original rrp with the other great must have the Sub.

Money retention is not all of course and nor should it be, however I would more confidently buy a Speedie than an El Primero. What ever the quality argument a Speedie can be flipped and quickly with minimal loss if you buy right.

Yes indeed.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I bought a Speedmaster Professional last year after prevaricating for a long time....I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Craftsman
    I bought mine 9 few years ago now.

For me, its design for the watch face is as good as it gets.

It's reasonably robust, accurate, and handsome. It is legible in all conditions, and lume is good at night.

The bracelet is comfortable and has a nice weight to it. I also have a half link which improves fit.

I do however have some observations:

The dial colour can change from deep black under artificial light, to shades of charcoal grey in daylight. This tends to annoy me;

The diameter of the face is large (34mm? Not the case, but the face). It therefore appears larger on the wrist than it probably should;

No date (for which i've learned that I strongly prefer one); and

Water resistance should be at least 100m, where I feel more comfortable swimming with it.

However the weight of its positives outweigh the gripes, and this is why, 9 years later, I still have it (not that I've sold a watch anyway)

Master
    If that was a Hai-
    ku, there were too many sy-
    llables. Boo.

I bought a vintage Speedmaster late last year, got it through a WTB on here, I was very lucky as the watch has never been polished, has a step dial, all original and was just serviced by Brendon..

I knew it was a 1974 (my birth year) 145.022-71T so I applied for an extract of archives and it turns out its 88 day younger than me, not a big deal but nice to think we still tick along together after a good wind up in the morning!!

Looking at the price of what this era of Speedy's sell for I got it at a really good price and the seller was a great guy too, they are out there if you look and ask around and you may have to be patience but buy well and you can flip if you dont get on with it, here is some info on the 1978's - http://speedmaster101.com/145-022/145-022-71-74-76-78/

Here's mine showing the step dial -

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I bought a vintage Speedmaster late last year, got it through a WTB on here, I was very lucky as the watch has never been polished, has a step dial, all original and was just serviced by Brendon..

I knew it was a 1974 (my birth year) 145.022-71T so I applied for an extract of archives and it turns out its 88 day younger than me, not a big deal but nice to think we still tick along together after a good wind up in the morning!!

Looking at the price of what this era of Speedy's sell for I got it at a really good price and the seller was a great guy too, they are out there if you look and ask around and you may have to be patience but buy well and you can flip if you dont get on with it, here is some info on the 1978's - http://speedmaster101.com/145-022/145-022-71-74-76-78/

Here's mine showing the step dial -

A lovely watch. Congratulations on a good find.

Journeyman

Speedmaster Professional - Regrets?

None from me. I was introduced to the Speedmaster in 2007 when I was just starting out working. I took every opportunity to look at one in shop windows. I was finally in a position to buy one in 2015 and I’ve not looked back since.

Sometimes I look at it and think it’s too big. Think it’s too busy. Wish it were another. But other times I’ll catch it in a certain light and it takes on a whole new look.

It’s been with me around the world. Was with me on my wedding day. And was with me for the birth of my daughter. Even if I somehow turn to regret it, it’ll not be parted with

Apprentice
    I realise Im going against the grain,but I've had one on two occasions and flipped them,to be honest,for me,it's too big.I desperately tried to love it.
    40mm and I'd be all over it.
    I love the design and history so I would only consider the original moonwatch,no reduced or LEs.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Red face

Speedmaster Pro is such an iconic, reliable watch and so rich with history, there's little reason for owners to regret.
    Just pick one limited edition and no regret.

Master
    For those concerned about size, it is the modern bracelet with solid endlinks which tends to give rise to issues on narrow wrists. Try one on an older bracelet, 1171, 1175 etc, or of course a leather strap.

It was a speedy MKII that got me into this crazy watch game along time ago.I soon wanted the moon watch and landed a nice 69 on a 1039 bracelet(love those things ) I liked the watch so much I ended up with 3 of the things,all from different years.After wearing and enjoying I couldn't really warm to the newer ones ,too white and clinical ,bracelet too bulky for me so they both went.I did a stupid thing and sold the vintage one on here,but I missed it so much put a wanted up and managed to get it back,its now going nowhere now,they are such a great looking watch and a must for any watch fan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    For those concerned about size, it is the modern bracelet with solid endlinks which tends to give rise to issues on narrow wrists. Try one on an older bracelet, 1171, 1175 etc, or of course a leather strap.
    I wear mine on a Leather Strap Tom, the newer bracelet doesn't work for me on Wrists over 7 1/2" so would even consider getting rid of the newer bracelet for an 1171

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I quite like it on the modern bracelet, but I’ve put that on my Speedy Tuesday. I’ve put mine on the black OEM Croc (Gator??) and Omega deployant, which is also an official option new and I think looks fantastic.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Always been happy with my Speedy, either on bracelet or a 'racing' style strap. Just go for hesalite to stay true to the original and avoid any of the more recent 'limited' editions

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I quite like it on the modern bracelet, but I’ve put that on my Speedy Tuesday. I’ve put mine on the black OEM Croc (Gator??) and Omega deployant, which is also an official option new and I think looks fantastic.
    I think the OEM black leather and deployant really raises the Speedy up a notch. I much prefer it to the bracelet, having owned both. That said, I find myself wearing mine on the OEM black NATO with the grey edging these days. Terrific strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Maybe you should have kept the Alaska Project. One went on OF recently at an advertised price of $15,800 and there is another up at that now. Complete madness.
    That’s just unreal. I had the Alaska a few years back. A cracking watch, but there is little to recommend it at that price point 😵

Craftsman
    None at all. Was after one for a few years, buying various other watches to try to scratch the itch. Since buying one at the end of last year, I’ve worn nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Be prepared for no regrets! The Speedmaster is an icon which actually lives up to the hype.
    Not too big on a 6,75" wrist and wears low to its hight. Really comfortable I have to say.
    Negatives? Maybe the winding on moderner models where the crown is sittyng low between the crown guards which makes it sometimes not as easy to wind.
    Crown size otherwise is perfect.

It's been said on many occasions not only in this thread but on countless others that it is an iconic watch.
    And possibly for that reason, I have tried to get excited about getting one. But the plain fact, is that it does not excite me in the slightest.
    Oh well horses for courses etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    It's been said on many occasions not only in this thread but on countless others that it is an iconic watch.
    And possibly for that reason, I have tried to get excited about getting one. But the plain fact, is that it does not excite me in the slightest.
    Oh well horses for courses etc.
    I've sold every previous one I have owned - but I have a nice feel for the one I currently have. I think the Speedy Tuesday re-ignited my like for a Speedy. Looking at some of the previous models, I quite like the one with red, white and blue rings too.
    It's just a matter of time...