closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedmaster - Explorer 2 Good Trade?

Craftsman

Speedmaster - Explorer 2 Good Trade?

I am currently considering trading my Speedmaster Professional for a Black dial Explorer 2.
    The Speedmaster was always THE watch i wanted to own but does not get much wrist time. I think the Explorer better suits my daily activities better therefore would get more use.

Looking for your opinion - based on YOUR thoughts, would you try to talk me out of this idea?
    I appreciate at the end of the day it's my watch so I should do what I want to do but I like getting other (more experienced) opinions.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes do it.

Craftsman
    Go for it

Straight trade in of your Speedy for an Exp 2 sounds like a very good deal on your end!

Absolutely gotta do it

Good swap.

Master
    They're pretty different in size. The Explorer 2 might "wear small" if you're into the larger watch thing (I'm not).

Can you give a few more details about the two watches and the trade, on the face of it a great deal for you but a lot of variables

If it was me and all things being equal I would probably not as I prefer the Speedmaster

I'd do it. Not because of I don't like my speedmaster, but because of Explorer II is my grail watch since childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Straight trade in of your Speedy for an Exp 2 sounds like a very good deal on your end!
    ^^This in the absence of more information.

Master
    You are getting watch you want plus a higher monetary value one . Sounds unbelievably good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I guess I should have been clearer. The deal would not be a straight swap, but a trade with money their way.
    I was just looking for people's opinions of the watches as a watch piece, not a financial value exercise.
    Do you rate the Explorer over the Speedmaster or would I just kick myself after a week and want to trade back.

Thanks for the feedback already though.

Which version of the Explorer 2, the current 42mm, or the previous 40mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I guess I should have been clearer. The deal would not be a straight swap, but a trade with money their way.
    I was just looking for people's opinions of the watches as a watch piece, not a financial value exercise.
    Do you rate the Explorer over the Speedmaster or would I just kick myself after a week and want to trade back.

They’re both great watches; the Speedmaster has more history and interest as a watch though. The explorer II is the least popular sports Rolex although it’s a great watch.

As an only watch, I’d definitely go for the explorer though, to me it seems more suitable for any occasion. I’m sure others will disagree though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Which version of the Explorer 2, the current 42mm, or the previous 40mm?
    Which one would you rate over the Speedmaster?

Which one would you rate over the Speedmaster?

Not a question of rating, it's a question of what style you like - your watch, your wrist.

The speedmaster has an extremely well balanced design, without especially strong characteristics; the 42mm Explorer 2 design doesn't have the same effortless balance. I can imagine someone very fond of the Speedmaster finding the 42mm Explorer 2 relatively clumsy, and being happier with the older 40mm

But then, why anyone would swap a watch they were 'very fond of', I don't know.

Craftsman
    I have both and wear the Speedmaster more. I find it more interesting and I like chronos. I think the Rolex is better built but they are both great watches. Both are easy to get hold of so worst case you could swap and see which you prefer (although this may cost you something). If funds permit, buy the Explorer and keep the one you like.

Craftsman
    Keep the Speedy, buy the Explorer. You will only end up wanting another Speedy after the deal if you don't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Keep the Speedy, buy the Explorer. You will only end up wanting another Speedy after the deal if you don't.
    Haha wishful thinking unfortunately. Wife and young twin girls will keep this from happening. Maybe one day.

Craftsman
    I love my Speedy, and wouldn’t trade it for an EXPII in this scenario. I prefer the look of the Speedmaster to that of the EXPII (it would be a much more difficult choice for me if you were asking about the Explorer though), but recognise that the EXPII is probably a ‘better’ watch. Stupid question, but have you tried an EXPII on your wrist? Good luck!

Craftsman
    Good shout about actually trying the Exp2 on. I think it definitely could be a good trade, providing it’s the 40mm, I’m not a fan of the 42 personally.

That said, I’ve seen so many people flip their Speedmasters only to regret it and buy another. It’s one of the coolest and most elegant sport watches in my opinion and I think it’s easy to forget that when you own one. However, not everyone feels this way about them and if you don’t wear yours much, only you know why.

I appreciate what you said about having a family etc but a speedy and an exp2 would make a very well balanced pair ...

I have owned both the Speedmaster and 40mm Explorer II for a number of years. I like both, but far prefer the Explorer II.

Master
    Most Rolex owners know the value of their watches and also know that a Rolex is a lot more valuable than an Speedmaster.

I just wonder why the seller is agreeing to the deal.

If I was in the OPs shoes, I would go for the deal and immediately slap the Explorer11 into Rolex for a service and accept the fact that I will be spending about £500+ on getting it put right, but even allowing for that, it is still a damn good deal.

If you fancy the Explorer go for it, plenty of Speedmasters around.

Personally, I wouldn't...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I have this weird thing where if I see a watch around a lot, it turns me off somewhat. What I like about the explorers (whether the small or the big one) is that they are not that common. They seem less ubiquitous than speedmasters (at last in my own little world). And of course, they’re great watches too. So on that basis I’d say go for it. If you had said speedy vs sub, I would have said speedy (unless the sub was some interesting unique vintage piece).

Master
    I have seen just one Explorer2 in the wild but I have never seen a Speedy. Both are well below the radar, and in my book, that makes them both attractive.

I wore an older EXPII for around 5 years, every day. I currently own the 42mm version in white, and love it!

I like my Speedy, and it has a/the look of an original - but it isn't. That said, of some brands make a remake of their most iconic model we would be going crazy to buy it and probably paying a large premium of the usual current models.

Straight choice of the Rolex over the Omega then I'd pick the Rolex. Depending on the cost to change I might change my mind. Both are great watches, but I'd feel more relaxed about wearing the Rolex anywhere, as I'm unlikely to end up in space.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have both. If I had to choose I think the ExpII (40mm) just edges it.
    Very different watches though. On a practical level I think date and GMT function on the Rolex is slightly more useful than chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    On a practical level I think date and GMT function on the Rolex is slightly more useful than chronograph.
    That depends on whether you travel or time things more often!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That depends on whether you travel or time things more often!
    True

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    True

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Stupid question, but have you tried an EXPII on your wrist? Good luck!
    Not a Stupid question as I haven't no. I am aware of the size difference which may be a problem once on the wrist. Is the weight much different? I was almost disappointed when I tried the Speedmaster on for the first time as it didn't feel substantial enough, if that makes sense.

obviously nothing would happen until I have tried one on.

Journeyman
    Good trade if you prefer the Explorer over the Speedmaster.

Personally, I spent along time wanting the Speedmaster and still love it today. I’ve only recently started to take interest in the Explorer II, so it’s not yet stood the test of time for me.

Not a Stupid question as I haven't no. I am aware of the size difference which may be a problem once on the wrist. Is the weight much different? I was almost disappointed when I tried the Speedmaster on for the first time as it didn't feel substantial enough, if that makes sense.

Did you say which Explorer you're swapping against? The 40mm one will feel less substantial than the Speedy, and the 42mm Exp.

One thing though, the Speedmaster Pro is Omega's most icon piece, a design classic, and one of their best sellers and a watch most collectors will say you should own. The Explorer 2 isn't a strong seller, or particularly slough after compared to the other Rolex Sports watches available.

I don't have either but I have tried on a white dialled Explorer II (42) and was a little underwhelmed once it was on my wrist. I still love it in pictures and I still get that feeling when I see one on the Friday thread or elsewhere, but I'd certainly recommend trying it on as I still struggle to reconcile the lust I have for the Explorer II with the reality of it in the metal.

Craftsman

I’ve never tried on an EXPII so can’t comment. I wear a BLNR most of the time, but when I do go back to the watch box, I’m reminded why I love the Speedy when I see it sitting there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    I’ve never tried on an EXPII so can’t comment. I wear a BLNR most of the time, but when I do go back to the watch box, I’m reminded why I love the Speedy when I see it sitting there.
    I am in the same situation. I wear my Tudor BBB every day and love looking at the Speedy and appreciate it for what it is. My problem is I hate the fact that that much money is just sitting in a box, it seems a waste.
    That is the appeal for the Explorer 2. It would be a watch I could wear most days and not worry about knocking it about too much.
    It seems crazy to think that back when I started buying watches, I would wear all the cheaper ones and keep the expensive ones for "special" occasions. Now I wear the more expensive ones and the cheaper ones don't get a look in.

Just for the sake of it, the 2 watches in question together...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That’s not a good picture of the explorer; it looks quite dull without the splash of colour from the gmt hand!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Just for the sake of it, the 2 watches in question together...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    This picture shows really well how epic Speedmaster looks. I wish they did a modern movement version in the same case/same hesalite glass, I'd jump on that pronto.

That’s not a good picture of the explorer; it looks quite dull without the splash of colour from the gmt hand!
    Shows how we're all different. I saw that and thought how much I liked it monochromatic.

Speedy wins though, it looks great in that pic. ^

You’re right. Literally not the best time to have taken it!

Craftsman
    The OP is also considering a black dial Explorer, so will be a bit different, but gives the impression of size.

I would give the older Exp II the nod over the speedy but it all comes down to personal preference really.

Condition, service history, completeness and price of the trade watch would all need to be taken into consideration and ultimately whether the cost to change is worth it based on all this info.

Craftsman
    thank you all for your feedback, seems very mixed which is great in a way. It means I can't make the wrong decision.

I will wait to see how much cash he would want his way and go from there. Any ideas what that figure should be roughly? My Speedmaster is about a year old with full BIG box and papers, it also has the addition of a PO micro adjustment clasp fitted (old one back in the box). All in great condition. At the moment I have little info of his. 40mm black dial with box at least (sorry, that's it).

Will definitely wear the Speedy for the whole weekend to see my thoughts by Monday.

You should get 2.5k for the Speedy and he'll want 3.5k for the Explorer, or there abouts.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You should get 2.5k for the Speedy and he'll want 3.5k for the Explorer, or there abouts.
    Sounds about right to me.

Master
    Speedy Pro and Explorer II 16570 in Polar White are surely a great two-watch collection with contrasting colours and the chrono and GMT/date complications? Personally I'd steer clear of the 42mm Explorer, it lacks refinement to my eyes. FWIW, I wear the Rolex quite a bit more than the Speedy in a 9-5 office job.

Last edited by J J Carter; 2nd February 2018 at 15:12.

Seems to be a popular combination of ownership those 2 watches...

Heres my 2...

Master

I own both and prefer the Rolex. The bracelet on the Speedmaster is better, but I like the tidy compact size of the pre ceramic Rolex. I'm a big Speedmaster fan though. It's easily the best modern Omega.