closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a car with a replacement engine

Buying a car with a replacement engine

I’ve seen a Peugeot 3008 that’s had a replacement engine at 70ish k and has done less than a 1000 miles since replacement. The engine was replaced following a manufacturer recall for something else at which point they found a fault. The replacement engine came from Peugeot in a France and was fitted by a Peugeot main dealership. Is this something that would put people off. It’s the 1.2L petrol PureTec Allure with the auto box if that makes a difference.

Craftsman
    New engine fitted by a dealer, wouldn't put me off one bit! I've seen engine replacements advertised which have been replaced with something pulled out of a scrapyard, in which case it would.

Master
    About 15 years ago I bought an A6 Avant S Line that had a replacement engine through the dealer. I ran it trouble free for 4 and a half years and I put 167,000 miles on the clock. It’s the best, least problematic car I’ve ever owned. The chap I bought it from that had the replacement engine fitted, probably wouldn’t say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’ve seen a Peugeot 3008 that’s had a replacement engine at 70ish k and has done less than a 1000 miles since replacement. The engine was replaced following a manufacturer recall for something else at which point they found a fault. The replacement engine came from Peugeot in a France and was fitted by a Peugeot main dealership. Is this something that would put people off. It’s the 1.2L petrol PureTec Allure with the auto box if that makes a difference.
    I think from a main dealer is no problem, and since it has already done a thousand miles there's probably not any major issues. I would think if there were issues, as it was part of a recall and done by a main dealer, you should be able to get it taken care of no problem

It would put me on, not off.

I bought an Audi A6 off this forum that had a replacement engine fitted by Audi. I had 5 years trouble free motoring from it until sadly it was hit by a drunk driver.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is there any warranty left on said engine replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    It would put me on, not off.
    Me too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would not put me off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    This, that’s a big job and I would want some sort of assurance it was put back in ok.

Master
    I bought a newish focus that had major engine work done by a main dealer befor I bought it and had nothing but problems and Ford weasled their way out of putting right stuff that should have been coved by the guarantee, the point I’m trying to make is do you know wether this dealer that replaced the engine is any good as in my experience there can be a massive difference between main dealers from great to awful

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I bought a newish focus that had major engine work done by a main dealer befor I bought it and had nothing but problems and Ford weasled their way out of putting right stuff that should have been coved by the guarantee, the point I’m trying to make is do you know wether this dealer that replaced the engine is any good as in my experience there can be a massive difference between main dealers from great to awful
    Strangely the only time I’ve had a replacement engine was on a focus many years ago, the replacement kept overheating and had to go and get the head skimmed to stop it overheating, it lasted about 75,000 after that then went bang like the previous one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    This is probably the key question. You would think they would provide a couple of year warranty with the new engine. You should check that is transferrable and you can use your local dealer hopefully for any future issues.

The warranty point is a good one, but I would expect it to be fully warranted. The only other thing to check is the running in procedures: I bought a BMW M car that had had a new engine under warranty just before I bought it and it was like the clock had been reset to zero - e.g. it needed a second running in service at 1000 miles (post engine change), etc.

Edited to add, those points apart not off putting at all from my perspective.