closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insured shipping/insurance query - Uk

Question Insured shipping/insurance query - Uk

Yes, I did a search but couldn’t find a conclusive answer here….so if anyone can help/advise I’d appreciate it.

As we all know RMSD cover tops out at £2,500.00 and anymore than that isn’t covered. So if you’re sending a £5,000.00 watch to someone will securus cover for the balance of £2,500.00 do the job?

So if the watch goes missing you then have the total cover of £5,000.00 but split between two provider's separate cover. Sound about right?

And are Securus ok with that or do they insist on the full value cover and not just the difference over the £2500 RMSD cover? 🤷🏼*♂️

Thanks very much.

Secursus advise to insure for the minimum, so wouldn't rely on RM for any part of a potential claim.

They require no indication of what's in the package or value.

You declare full value with them and pay the fee on that basis.

Royal Mail technically provides £0 insurance on a package valued over £2,500, regardless of what service you use.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Royal Mail technically provides £0 insurance on a package valued over £2,500, regardless of what service you use.
    Quite right. It amazes me that people still don't know this - it's been covered ad infinitum on here, and it's not complicated.

P.S. Look at the Contents of Items sections in here: https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...ersion-6.1.pdf
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 12th February 2023 at 19:27. Reason: P.S. added

Master

Insured shipping/insurance query - Uk

Be extremely careful with Secursus.

Read the T&Cs carefully and also I suggest you email them to ask they cover your specific scenario.

For example they don’t cover shipping to a third party such as eBay authenticity.

There are threads on here and pistonheads with various scenarios which they have said they don’t cover.

Effectively a waste of money on those scenarios.

Edited to add the snapshot from pistonheads. Which suggests they don’t cover individuals AT ALL:

Response from them was as follows: -

Unfortunately, as this watch is shipped to a third-party (eBay authenticator) we won’t be able to cover it.

Besides, our insurance policy does not cover items that are sold/purchased on an online marketplace by individuals. Only official businesses are covered.
    Last edited by Boss13; 12th February 2023 at 20:09.

Sure, I’m aware of that and I’d already covered that in my opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Be extremely careful with Secursus.

Read the T&Cs carefully and also I suggest you email them to ask they cover your specific scenario.

For example they don’t cover shipping to a third party such as eBay authenticity.

There are threads on here and pistonheads with various scenarios which they have said they don’t cover.

Effectively a waste of money on those scenarios.

Edited to add the snapshot from pistonheads. Which suggests they don’t cover individuals AT ALL:

Response from them was as follows: -

Unfortunately, as this watch is shipped to a third-party (eBay authenticator) we won’t be able to cover it.

Besides, our insurance policy does not cover items that are sold/purchased on an online marketplace by individuals. Only official businesses are covered.
    Thanks.

Not sure how the eBay reference is relevant in my own example. I am shipping a watch to a Trade buyer and just want to be covered financially.

I can’t find any courier (DHL/FedEx etc) who will cover the full value, hence asking about RMSD to £2,500 max cover and then me adding the insurance cover for the difference over and above that.

So if I can’t courier the watch to the buyer my only options are to 1. Physically drive it there (ridiculous and not practical) or 2. Find a courier with sufficient cover and who collect from me and deliver to the buyer. Within reason I’m not worried about the cost as I just want piece of mind.

Master
    The eBay part isn’t if you are not sending to them, but I added it in as it will help others possibly and was part of the post I copied here from PH. Also I had no idea who you were sending to.

Anyway hopefully the post was useful to you overall and especially the part about it not covering individuals.

Sorry if the eBay part was confusing.

The eBay part isn’t if you are not sending to them, but I added it in as it will help others possibly and was part of the post I copied here from PH. Also I had no idea who you were sending to.

Anyway hopefully the post was useful to you overall and especially the part about it not covering individuals.

Sorry if the eBay part was confusing.

Your post was useful and apologies if my reply didn’t convey that.

However if I read your post right the Individuals comment could do with some clarification I hope. Are you (Securus) saying that the insurance doesn’t cover any private individual taking out the cover (which is nuts and therefore a total waste of money) but it does cover a business taking out the cover?

I own a couple of businesses so could send in my business name if that meant the cover stood.

Frankly I’m amazed that no commercial courier seems to have a product that offers the sender the cover they desire and charge accordingly for that. Obviously Watch dealers have their own business insurance cover over and above the courier cover but for private individuals there seem little to no viable options.

Thanks again Boss13 

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Sure, I’m aware of that and I’d already covered that in my opening post.
    No not quite, your opening post says something different.

If you post an item over £2,500 via Royal Mail, your insured value is £0. Not £0 above £2,500, £0 in total. You have no insurance through Royal Mail, the entire insurance is invalid if you exceed their £2,500 threshold at all.

No not quite, your opening post says something different.

If you post an item over £2,500 via Royal Mail, your insured value is £0. Not £0 above £2,500, £0 in total. You have no insurance through Royal Mail, the entire insurance is invalid if you exceed their £2,500 threshold at all.
    Ok, let me try it another way.

I send this watch worth £5,000.00 via RMSD. I pay the Royal Mail the extra cost of cover to their maximum of £2,500.00. But for them (and I didn’t say this I guess) I state the package value as the £2,500.00 so the insurance cover via Royal Mail stands to that level.

I then add Securus cover of £2,500.00 giving me a total of £5,000.00 cover but via 2 providers.

Or do you have another suggestion to help at all please? Thanks.

I send this watch worth £5,000.00 via RMSD. I pay the Royal Mail the extra cost of cover to their maximum of £2,500.00. But for them (and I didn’t say this I guess) I state the package value as the £2,500.00 so the insurance cover via Royal Mail stands to that level.

I then add Securus cover of £2,500.00 giving me a total of £5,000.00 cover but via 2 providers.

In the event the package goes missing, you would need to evidence what you were sending (relevant sales info etc) and proof of value (receipts, nearest alternatives etc). So you end up with zero insurance in this scenario, according to their terms.

RMSD remains the most reliable method of post in my personal experience, but above £2.5k it's either at risk or needs to be insured via another provider. I can't comment on how reliable Securus are as I have no experience with using or claiming via them. For a £5,000 watch, I'd be trying for a F2F personally!

Master
    I suggest you email Secursus with your exact scenario. They may decide to cover it and then you have total peace of mind. Their TCs are certainly not easy to understand on the site.

When I last tried to use them I was categorically told they won’t cover which saved me wasting my money and sending something with zero insurance. Which I’ve done before several times when I wasn’t aware of this.

I also called pretty much every major courier who all said they either won’t cover watches at all. Or up to a small limit which was no good to me.

Best of luck.

SydR
    In event of any claim RM would want evidence as to the value of the item sent. You then have two options. 1. To disclose the value of £5,000 as which point they will tell you you’re not covered. 2. Lie to them and fake‘evidence’ the item is only worth £2,500. This is a risky strategy and can lead to serious consequences if found out.

You would be better to ship with the basic £500 cover, with no intention of claiming on it, and insuring for the full £5,000 elsewhere.

Get a price off DHL Gareth?

Believe they do collect but I always pop to local centre, they pack it up in front of you as they have to see contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Get a price off DHL Gareth?

Believe they do collect but I always pop to local centre, they pack it up in front of you as they have to see contents.
    Thanks Vince.

But DHL cover is only £1,000 only so of no use I’m afraid. And the watch in question is already boxed up securely and ready to go.

In the event the package goes missing, you would need to evidence what you were sending (relevant sales info etc) and proof of value (receipts, nearest alternatives etc). So you end up with zero insurance in this scenario, according to their terms.

RMSD remains the most reliable method of post in my personal experience, but above £2.5k it's either at risk or needs to be insured via another provider. I can't comment on how reliable Securus are as I have no experience with using or claiming via them. For a £5,000 watch, I'd be trying for a F2F personally!
    Sure, totally get what you’re saying here on the insurance validation point.

I agree that RMSD is probably the most reliable service out there but being pegged to £2500 maximum cover leaves plenty of room for squeaky bum time until it gets there. Or not.

If it was a private sale I’d have zero issue with trying to arrange a F2F meeting but if it’s the trade, as mine is, the risk is all mine if I can’t find a service that works and with the right cover as well……I really don’t want to have to drive 4 hours each way/500 plus miles to put a parcel into the trade buyers hands…..it’s bloody ridiculous!! I’d be happy to spend £100 plus to have peace of mind and with a decent level of cover/courier service being available to me.

Going to try a local business courier tomorrow who have £15,000 cover and use various wheeled vehicles for collection and same day delivery.

Red face

I suggest you email Secursus with your exact scenario. They may decide to cover it and then you have total peace of mind. Their TCs are certainly not easy to understand on the site.

When I last tried to use them I was categorically told they won’t cover which saved me wasting my money and sending something with zero insurance. Which I’ve done before several times when I wasn’t aware of this.

I also called pretty much every major courier who all said they either won’t cover watches at all. Or up to a small limit which was no good to me.

Best of luck.
    Thank you.

In looking on line yesterday I’d say about 50% of couriers don’t cover watches and those that do have minimal cover of, say, £1000 maximum.

I’ll give Securus a call and see what they say.

Failing that, anyone driving from Surrey to Yorkshire this week and want some free cash for space on their passenger seat?! 藍

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post

You would be better to ship with the basic £500 cover, with no intention of claiming on it, and insuring for the full £5,000 elsewhere.

Thanks Syd.

Got any insurers in mind here??

It’s a journey I did every week last year,out of interest whos the receiving dealer

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I wonder who Ebay uses to ship high value watches over £2500 from authenticators to buyer?

Anybody received Ebay watch via authenticator ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nitram View Post
    I wonder who Ebay uses to ship high value watches over £2500 from authenticators to buyer?

Anybody received Ebay watch via authenticator ?
    Yes, it was shipped via UPS in my case.

SydR
    Thanks Syd.

Got any insurers in mind here??
    As others have said, speak with Securus about your specific requirements and see what they say. You have the option of sending under a business which may work better for you.

There is also Overland Express though they seem a little more expensive.

Thanks Vince.

But DHL cover is only £1,000 only so of no use I’m afraid. And the watch in question is already boxed up securely and ready to go.
    Nope they cover more sent a watch to US last month worth just over that.

Used to be £5K but assistant told me they now offer up to £10K not sure if that’s correct.

In event of any claim RM would want evidence as to the value of the item sent. You then have two options. 1. To disclose the value of £5,000 as which point they will tell you you’re not covered. 2. Lie to them and fake‘evidence’ the item is only worth £2,500. This is a risky strategy and can lead to serious consequences if found out.

Correct.

I agree that RMSD is probably the most reliable service out there but being pegged to £2500 maximum cover leaves plenty of room for squeaky bum time until it gets there. Or not.

If it was a private sale I’d have zero issue with trying to arrange a F2F meeting but if it’s the trade, as mine is, the risk is all mine if I can’t find a service that works and with the right cover as well……I really don’t want to have to drive 4 hours each way/500 plus miles to put a parcel into the trade buyers hands…..it’s bloody ridiculous!! I’d be happy to spend £100 plus to have peace of mind and with a decent level of cover/courier service being available to me.

Going to try a local business courier tomorrow who have £15,000 cover and use various wheeled vehicles for collection and same day delivery.
    Just ask your trade buyer to insure it, even if you have to reimburse them. I’m sure trade buyers must do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just ask your trade buyer to insure it, even if you have to reimburse them. I’m sure trade buyers must do it all the time.
    Sure, it’s a question worth asking. Cheers Tony.

As others have said, speak with Securus about your specific requirements and see what they say. You have the option of sending under a business which may work better for you.

There is also Overland Express though they seem a little more expensive.

Thanks. I’ll try both.

I’m at the point where the cost is pretty secondary compared to getting a service that works for me and has me covered properly.

Tony beat me to it, but yea ask the business buying it to sort insurance. They'll presumably do this daily, no big deal for them hopefully. Whenever I've got a quote (granted from the bigger places) they usually mentioned collected from your door insured etc as a free perk.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Nope they cover more sent a watch to US last month worth just over that.

Used to be £5K but assistant told me they now offer up to £10K not sure if that’s correct.

Can’t see anything on the DHL site for Uk delivery with cover more than £1000 mate but I’ll check again tomorrow.

How hard can this be? Royal mail special delivery cover £500 and securas £5000 cover simple follow instructions packaging £50 cost
    Did it other week for over 10k, reason why they all ask £500 standard special delivery it's under the radar for high value could be a phone.

Sent from my SM-A325F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Have you looked at Mail Boxes Etc https://www.mbe.co.uk/

It won't be the cheapest option, but, for a one-off shipment probably the most straightforward method. Either get a quote from their website, or pop into your local branch for a price. You can even tell them which carrier you prefer, for a shipment within UK I'd specify RMSD.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    How hard can this be? Royal mail special delivery cover £500 and securas £5000 cover simple follow instructions packaging £50 cost
    Did it other week for over 10k, reason why they all ask £500 standard special delivery it's under the radar for high value could be a phone.

Sent from my SM-A325F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you read the rest of the thread, you may be surprised at how risky assumptions around Securus can be.

Master

I have used them before , but this term about not insuring from people selling on an online market place are a worry. I’ve emailed them for confirmation

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post

It won't be the cheapest option, but, for a one-off shipment probably the most straightforward method. Either get a quote from their website, or pop into your local branch for a price. You can even tell them which carrier you prefer, for a shipment within UK I'd specify RMSD.

Hope this helps.
    Agree with this one.

I've used MBE for everything from watches to enormous camera lenses. Prices were okay, polite, friendly, professional, and no issue at all with what the contents or how they were sold. They asked to keep the boxes open so they could see and confirm, and then sealed.
    Must have used maybe 10 times over the years, and always very good.
    Last edited by Senninha; 13th February 2023 at 07:23. Reason: Typo

I’d previously read secursus t&c’s and due to the exceptions on individuals and online market places I’d pretty much determined it wasn’t going to provide the cover as needed. For this reason, I few local or get in the car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post

I have used them before , but this term about not insuring from people selling on an online market place are a worry. I’ve emailed them for confirmation

Excactly this. It is shocking that they have this exclusion. I think it was added recently so many on this forum will peacefully continue using them (especially for SC sales) and not realise if the worst happens, they are in trouble as they will not be insured.
    No cover for individuals!

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Agree with this one.

I've used MBE for everything from watches to enormous camera lenses. Prices were okay, polite, friendly, professional, and no issue at all with what the contents or how they were sold. They asked to keep the boxes open so they could see and confirm, and then sealed.
    I went in to MBE last week to get a quote for an international despatch because RM is not shipping internationally due to the Russian ransom cyberattack. Offered quotes fully insured to £6,500 from DHL, UPS and FedEx. The quotes were about 5% of the value, split 50/50 between packaging/freight and insurance.

The stipulations were that the watch had to be taken in unpacked to be photographed. They would pack it in a very much oversized box (which pushes the freight cost up), partly to disguise and partly so that the package wasn't easily pocketable.

On its own ~£350 seems quite high, but if it is a safe route then I would just factor it in to pricing and how much discount I'm prepared to give when inevitably asked.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 13th February 2023 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Hope this helps.
    I've both used MBE multiple times, and successfully claimed from them when a watch went missing. It was a very straightforward process, and I received a cheque for the full amount within a couple of weeks.

I've spoken to a couple of local couriers who have the cover required and waiting for their quotes.

Also have asked the Trader buyer/retailer to call me and see what they can do to help as well.

Master
    I did email them and say said case by case they would insure it, but it seems they have several ways of not paying as per trust pilot. For things over £2500 I’m going to say meet up now etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Agree with this one.

Yup me too. It's the worry-free option.

Master
    5% of value on a 10K watch is a pretty significant amount.
    Would certainly affect sales on here if you were factoring that in.
    Can't imagine businesses paying much more than £50

Thumbs up

Just had one local courier quote so far.........£461.14.........gulp.........

There is enough trusted motorcyclists on this forum to offer a personalised motorcycle courier service. I’m in!

Just had one local courier quote so far.........£461.14.........gulp.........
    You could always open a parcel Pro account through one of your businesses? Insurance costs 0.25% of value so it's a cost-effective option. Just need to read the ts & cs very carefully.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th February 2023 at 15:09.

You could always open a parcel Pro account through one of your businesses? Insurance costs 0.25% of value so it's a cost-effective option. Just need to read the ts & cs very carefully.

Next on my list!

The courier that quoted the £461 same day service suggested I contact G4S as well.........so have done so.

Unhappy

Nope, that isn't an option either......

The Trade Buyers insurance only covers their own stock, not anything inbound that they don't own (yet)

This is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare now......

Nope, that isn't an option either......

The Trade Buyers insurance only covers their own stock, not anything inbound that they don't own (yet)

This is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare now......
    Just sign up with Parcel pro then. All the options have been presented to you now, from what I can see.

Just sign up with Parcel pro then. All the options have been presented to you now, from what I can see.

Yup, and I've applied to ParcelPro today.

Still think it's utterly crazy that no courier in the UK will let you (as a Business or Private individual) pay to cover the risk over and above their normal level of insurance cover. DPD were looking ok at £5,000 cover but they exclude Watches.......FFS!!!!

Was advised to open a Fedex account (as well as Parcelpro as I already have) and have just done that today.....and what a POS their website is! You need a 9 digit account number to use your account but there is no way to get that number and create a shipping quote even. Total joke.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 13th February 2023 at 18:34. Reason: added Fedex rant!