closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazing new Tsunami footage

Amazing new Tsunami footage

Just like you were there... the speed of the flood is incredible. Watch through to the end.

http://www.flixxy.com/japanese-tsunami- ... -a-car.htm
    So clever my foot fell off.

Re: Amazing new Tsunami footage

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    Just like you were there... the speed of the flood is incredible. Watch through to the end.

http://www.flixxy.com/japanese-tsunami- ... -a-car.htm
    Bloody hell. Quite scary - even though this appears to be pretty low-intensity, comparatively.

OMG, very scary. The level of destruction is immense and it really is like you are there

Hm. Not sure if I'd have survived. Where do you go if you're minding your own business and suddenly caught up in it? Higher ground? He was floating around with currents so I guess climb on a lorry and hope it stays upright? Or that you float past a building? If you swim in it, you could get pulled under or hit by a passing object.

Thoughts?

:shock: Extremely frightening. You'd need to be a good swimmer and carrying a lot of luck to survive that!
    F.T.F.A.

Wow, amazing footage, just shows how it all happened so quickly, from a heavy shake to a trickle of water to a full river of debris within a minute or so. You'd barely have enough time to assess what your next move is. There's a real sense of impending doom watching the car bounce around at the mercy of the water, hard to even think about what to do next, it just looks like you've got no chance regardless of your next move.

Master

It's hard to imagine what it must have felt like being in the car as it unfolded- increasingly scary as you see no way out.

Unimaginable and very scary, thanks for posting.

I wonder what happened to the person who got out of the car in front? If I had made the decision to get out, I wonder if I would have thought it necessary to go back and close the door? Very scary.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    Wow, amazing footage, just shows how it all happened so quickly, from a heavy shake to a trickle of water to a full river of debris within a minute or so. You'd barely have enough time to assess what your next move is. There's a real sense of impending doom watching the car bounce around at the mercy of the water, hard to even think about what to do next, it just looks like you've got no chance regardless of your next move.
    It's edited, presumably - it was around 1 hour between the quake and the tsunami hitting the nearest bit of cost.

Interesting footage - I don't think I've seen anything quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger

It's edited, presumably - it was around 1 hour between the quake and the tsunami hitting the nearest bit of cost.

Interesting footage - I don't think I've seen anything quite like that.
    yeah, got that on the 2nd look, only realised the cut point then :drunken: , originally thought it was an aftershock or something....I knew there was at a delay between the main quake and tsunami striking land. Still amazing the water just appearing and suddenly you're floating and have no control over where you end up. Frightening stuff. I'd be mainly thinking how to get on a tanker or building but everything just seems to be moving too quickly and the car is too far from anything stable.

Was it some sort of storage tanker he ended up crashing into at the end of the vid?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    Hm. Not sure if I'd have survived. Where do you go if you're minding your own business and suddenly caught up in it? Higher ground? He was floating around with currents so I guess climb on a lorry and hope it stays upright? Or that you float past a building? If you swim in it, you could get pulled under or hit by a passing object.

Thoughts?
    Higher ground, if any around. I would not swim in that, there's all kinds of stuff floating around bound to hurt you and currents bound to pull you under or into something. My first preocuppation would be to get out of the reach of it, scramble up a building, a tree, a mast (not electrical), failing that grab onto something floaty and try to paddle it clear of the rubble and objects while it is coming in, but make sure you don't get pulled out when it is retracting. If you get through the phase when it's flooding in, you might have made it, there will be a brief pause before it goes back, that's the chance to get somewhere safer.

It is still possible that you've simply had it. Lots of footage looks fairly unspectacular - as a kid I always imagined it as a huge wall of water crashing through at an enormous speed, instead it is mostly "just" a flood. It is not less dangerous though, it is immensely powerful and if you're in it, your chances are not good. The time to react is probably well ahead, before the water comes. If close to the sea and there is an earthquake, scramble for anything high without delay. I was surprised to see how few people knew what it meant when the sea suddenly retracts, they were wandering about puzzled and amused - at that point I'd be a blur leaving a brown trail towards the highest point I see.

I assume that what you see on the footage is not that bad, comparatively. If there is anyone trained and capable to deal with earthquakes and Tsunamis, it's the Japanese - and it caught even them off guard. This is obviously so far inland they did not even expect it to come this far, you can see no sign of anyone being aware of a danger until it came in. So what you see here is probably nothing compared to what it must have been like closer to the coast. Still more than enough though.

Incredibly scary. Watching it, you just start thinking "what would I do in that situation?" my answer is still, that I have no idea. Thanks for posting. Brings it all into scary focus.