closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch repair

Journeyman

Watch repair

My Longines hydroconquest has been gathering dust for a while as it needs a repair. I have a feeling the mainspring has gone due to it losing a lot of time. Is it cheaper/better to go direct to Longines for their official service or get it repaired by an independent?

Grand Master
    Think about it, if the mainspring had gone the watch wouldn’t run, would it?

It ain’t rocket science.

- - - Updated - - -

It ain’t rocket science.

Journeyman
    I'm no expert but according to one Google search result:

A watch with a broken mainspring can still run and keep excellent time depending on where the break is. If it is an automatic then it also could have some power reserve but probably not enough to keep it running off the wrist overnight

Grand Master
    Don’t believe all you read on google.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don’t believe all you read on google.
    Thanks, that's really insightful. You got any investing tips too?

If you are keeping the watch, find a good independent. My Rolex AD does repairs of other watches and they did a great job with my Omega Speedmaster Reduced.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It is possible for a mainspring to break or detach and still run, it’s the power reserve that will be affected, I have a Speedmaster that has this issue, you can wind and wind and the mainspring will slip rather than be fully wound, the power reserve is about 20 hours as a result, timekeeping is fine, if your timekeeping is off then there’s a lot to look at before the mainspring.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Its possible for a watch to limp along with a broken spring, but its rare, they usually break in such a way that the spring can’t wind. Continuing to wind a watch with a broken spring is likely to scratch the inside of the barrel which may then need replacing, not a good thing to do deliberately.

It ain’t rocket science.

- - - Updated - - -

It ain’t rocket science.
    Its possible for a watch to limp along with a broken spring, but its rare, they usually break in such a way that the spring can’t wind. Continuing to wind a watch with a broken spring is likely to scratch the inside of the barrel which may then need replacing, not a good thing to do deliberately.
    Great advice.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Great advice.
    Great advice from me as always, take heed of my advice and you'll learn something about watches, you'll find the hobby far more rewarding.

Generally a watch with a broken spring doesn`t run but there are exceptions to that rule. On the timegrapher it's obvious when a watch is running badly, amplitude's crap and timekeeping is way off, that's the first step to diagnosing a problem before the back comes off the watch. Generally I like to diagnose what's wrong immediately when I receive a watch to fix, that's the part of the work I enjoy most. I`ve been fooled a couple of times with broken mainsprings, in one case the barrel arbour had broken and in another the great wheel (driven by the teeth on the barrel) had failed, both gave symptoms of a broken spring.

If the OP wants me to have a look at this I`m happy to do so, send me a PM and we'll discuss prices etc .
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd September 2023 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    My Longines hydroconquest has been gathering dust for a while as it needs a repair. I have a feeling the mainspring has gone due to it losing a lot of time. Is it cheaper/better to go direct to Longines for their official service or get it repaired by an independent?
    You can send it to me or drop it off, I work in the Jewellery Quarter at https://ajhsl.co.uk

Great advice from me as always, take heed of my advice and you'll learn something about watches, you'll find the hobby far more rewarding.
    We’re lucky to have you.

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Sounds like a good independent is the way forward.