closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ancient & Modern Jewellers, Blackburn

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Ancient & Modern Jewellers, Blackburn

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an 'unworn' Rolex from Ancient & Modern Jewellers in Blackburn via their ebay shop.

Anybody know anything about them? Are they ok?

Also, what does unworn really mean? Is it some sort of grey import and they can't term it new since they're not Rolex dealers?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Jack

Re: Ancient & Modern Jewellers, Blackburn

Dealt with Jonny Marr in the past - solid firm, but grey dealers.

Great prices and service - happy to recommend.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

I just bought a watch off them, they do seem to be easy to deal with and the goods are as described, price wise i've noticed they're a bit erratic, with some good prices and some seriously optimistic prices. I do think that Johnny needs to get someone on board who has a bit more knowledge for the write ups of the watches, because there's been a few gaffs in his ads, such as calling Audemars Piget 'Piquet', mixing up ceramic and PVD, getting the wrong information about a watch and so on, it does put some people off when buying an expensive watch on ebay.

I've bought a few watches from them over the last few years & always collected them as I don't live too far away.

Never had a problem with them & would happily deal with them again.

Dan

i thought the first couple of albums were amazing
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    i thought the first couple of albums were amazing

Seems a good guy and knowledgable - not sure whether true grey dealer - aren't the unworn watches from an AD rather than never sold?
    It's just a matter of time...

Had a bad experience with Johnny Marr,and personally wont be buying off them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    I just bought a watch off them, they do seem to be easy to deal with and the goods are as described, price wise i've noticed they're a bit erratic, with some good prices and some seriously optimistic prices. I do think that Johnny needs to get someone on board who has a bit more knowledge for the write ups of the watches, because there's been a few gaffs in his ads, such as calling Audemars Piget 'Piquet', mixing up ceramic and PVD, getting the wrong information about a watch and so on, it does put some people off when buying an expensive watch on ebay.
    As opposed to Piguet? ;) (pedant mode off)

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    Had a bad experience with Johnny Marr,and personally wont be buying off them in the future.

In what way "bad" as i think members should know if there is something a miss so as to safeguard us all in the future ?

I called them about a Panerai they had advertised on Ebay and they denied they had it in stock, I was then asked to email them with my requirements and never got a reply so I assumed their stock control was either questionable or that they use ads to gauge interest before they buy from someone else so in essence don't always hold the stock themselves. Thats fine but a little openess does no harm.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    I do think that Johnny needs to get someone on board who has a bit more knowledge for the write ups of the watches, because there's been a few gaffs in his ads, such as calling Audemars Piget 'Piquet', mixing up ceramic and PVD, getting the wrong information about a watch and so on
    Maybe that could by my new job :lol: Pity I live a bit too far away!

Paul
    (newly retired)

Grand Master

On a more serious note, I haven't bought from them but I almost did. I discussed sourcing a new Rolex and they quoted a straight 15% off list price. This was for a Steel Datejust 116234 in Sept 2008. I got the impression they were OK to deal with and very straight-talking. If I was in the market for something new I`d be happy to try them......don`t forget Blowers at Hull though.

Paul

Craftsman

seem a good company to me, I did try and sell a watch to them and was offered a terrible price although accept a buyer can offer whatever price they want

Dealt with Johnny once (£5k item) and all was dandy - watch was just as described, turned out to be from an Indian AD :D

You get a UK receipt with VAT etc all declared so no issues, so if it's a good price i'd say go for it.

Hi,
    Bought from them several times and great service.

Best wishes.

About 3 years ago I "bought" a Planet Ocean from his Ebay shop, paid and then got an email saying they did not have the watch. I think his source of gray imports failed to come up with the goods. He then asked me not to leave negative feedback!
    So, it would be worth ensuring he does have the physical watch before buying.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread!

Have been looking at a watch that was bought "new" from Ancient and Modern but the warranty card is from a US Authorised Dealer.

Only concern is it seems the date of sale has been filled in by Ancient and Modern and not the US dealer. I would have thought the date should be the date that Ancient and Modern obtained the watch and not when they sold it on.

Is this common and would Omega have a record of the "first" sale?

It's the shop premises for Iconic Watches website.

Journeyman
    I bought a new IWC from them that had come from a US dealer. The date on the warranty was a couple of months before I bought the watch but they made up the rest of the warranty with there own warranty.
    I did need to use the warranty but it was still under IWC warranty when I did so.
    I found them good people to deal with and the watch was a good price.

Banned
    I've had a bad experiance with them, I paid for a watch over the phone using my debit card, when payment cleared I was asked to send in a copy of my passport and drivers licences and then they would ship the watch.

I then refused and asked for a refund, two weeks later after a bit of e-mail tennis between me and the company the refund was issued, Johnny also sent me a snotty e-mail which hinted that i shouldn't buy things that I can't afford?

Thanks for the replies! Would it be usual for a grey market dealer to receive a warranty card without the date written on so that they can add the date when they sell?

How do they even get stock from an AD? Do some AD's knowingly sell to grey market dealers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Would it be usual for a grey market dealer to receive a warranty card without the date written on so that they can add the date when they sell?

How do they even get stock from an AD? Do some AD's knowingly sell to grey market dealers?
    There all seconds, stolen or faked :)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    There all seconds, stolen or faked :)
    Thanks for your "help". :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taz417 View Post
    I've had a bad experiance with them, I paid for a watch over the phone using my debit card, when payment cleared I was asked to send in a copy of my passport and drivers licences and then they would ship the watch.

I then refused and asked for a refund, two weeks later after a bit of e-mail tennis between me and the company the refund was issued, Johnny also sent me a snotty e-mail which hinted that i shouldn't buy things that I can't afford?

I had exactly this experience but it only became known to me after the watch didn't arrive as initially indicated. When i queried non delivery, i was told by a very snotty female they were still waiting on me to provide personal details when it had never actually been requested. I played the same tennis email game for a few days before my refund finally appeared.

I wouldn't go near them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thanks for your "help". :-)
    You're welcome, I try to do what I can with the little I have available ;)

To cover you're Q yes from AD's where they have a relationship, UK, EU or elsewhere ADs have targets to keep franchises etc....

Talking

You're welcome, I try to do what I can with the little I have available ;)

To cover you're Q yes from AD's where they have a relationship, UK, EU or elsewhere ADs have targets to keep franchises etc....
    Thanks for that. Appreciate the actual help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I had exactly this experience but it only became known to me after the watch didn't arrive as initially indicated. When i queried non delivery, i was told by a very snotty female they were still waiting on me to provide personal details when it had never actually been requested. I played the same tennis email game for a few days before my refund finally appeared.

I wouldn't go near them.

Thats the same snotty cow that I spoke to

The ID thing is standard practice for a lot of watch dealers internet sales. I think their fault was not telling you about this before payment. Swiss Watch Company asked for my ID (passport copy) before selling me a watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The ID thing is standard practice for a lot of watch dealers internet sales. I think their fault was not telling you about this before payment. Swiss Watch Company asked for my ID (passport copy) before selling me a watch.
    Even if paying via Debit Card?

its fair enough if its company policy, but the attitude of 'mrs Bucket' over the phone was disgusting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    Johnny Marr? No wonder he's miserable now.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    Has anyone dealt with Johnny Marr in the last couple of months?
    RIAC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    I would go to the shop but I haven't got a stitch to wear.

Master
    I bought an IWC Portuguese from them.
    They quoted me a price .. then IWC raised their prices and they honoured the initial price after the rise came - not many companies would do this if you ask me.
    I was happy with the deal, and didn't have a problem giving them some ID to complete the transaction.
    My watch came with an AD stamp from Spain - a week or so before I got it.
    I'd be happy to buy from them again.

These guys sound like they've entered the drop shipping business

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Has anyone dealt with Johnny Marr in the last couple of months?
    Didn't he pass away last year?

Midway down thread, numberjacks's post:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Marr
    Last edited by Christian; 30th January 2013 at 22:50.

Journeyman
    I can understand the id thing, its to protect them against fraud, if someone uses a stolen card be it debit or credit and he ships the watch and the card holder complains its fraud, the retailer hasnt got a leg to stand on and gets the money taken back out of his account.

These watches are not cheap and no doubt the target of multple fraud attempts weekly.

If you dont want to send id you could always do a bank transfer but you dont have the same protection as with a card...so what you gain on one you lose out on the other.

Sad news about Mr Marr. I met him once and he himself a reasonable guy. Shame the same can't be said of the overall owner - that woman who has been referred to above.

Sounds like that woman should be bludgeoned in her bed ;-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Didn't he pass away last year?

Midway down thread, numberjacks's post:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Marr
    Thought so just wondered if anyone else had heard
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    Sounds like that woman should be bludgeoned in her bed ;-)
    Nice :(

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp2k View Post
    I can understand the id thing, its to protect them against fraud, if someone uses a stolen card be it debit or credit and he ships the watch and the card holder complains its fraud, the retailer hasnt got a leg to stand on and gets the money taken back out of his account.

These watches are not cheap and no doubt the target of multple fraud attempts weekly.

If you dont want to send id you could always do a bank transfer but you dont have the same protection as with a card...so what you gain on one you lose out on the other.

I have no problem giving over my ID. What hacked me off was buying over the phone from their internet arm via a debit card and being told next day delivery.

When it didn't arrive and i queried why, i got the snotty women almost lecturing me about what i needed to do despite no one had previously mentioned this need for proof of ID. Had she been polite i would have accommodated her. As her attitude was to say the least abrasive i simply wanted my money back.

As to Jonny Marr i recall i spoke to him some time ago, he seemed a nice enough guy and i'm sad to hear of his passing. It only goes to prove what we all know but frequently don't acknowledge, that life is for now as there may be no tomorrow.

Always an excuse to indulge in another watch acquisition if nothing else

Journeyman

Thumbs up

I have no problem giving over my ID. What hacked me off was buying over the phone from their internet arm via a debit card and being told next day delivery.

When it didn't arrive and i queried why, i got the snotty women almost lecturing me about what i needed to do despite no one had previously mentioned this need for proof of ID. Had she been polite i would have accommodated her. As her attitude was to say the least abrasive i simply wanted my money back.

As to Jonny Marr i recall i spoke to him some time ago, he seemed a nice enough guy and i'm sad to hear of his passing. It only goes to prove what we all know but frequently don't acknowledge, that life is for now as there may be no tomorrow.

Always an excuse to indulge in another watch acquisition if nothing else

In that case they have no excuse, this should have been set out from the outset

Grand Master
    only goes to prove what we all know but frequently don't acknowledge, that life is for now as there may be no tomorrow. Always an excuse to indulge in another watch acquisition if nothing else
    Quite right
    RIAC

Nice :(

smiths lyric, you know who johnny marr is right?