closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you more or less likely to buy a celebrity-endorsed watch?

Doesnt matter. My choices are not that easily swayed.

Last edited by patrick; 10th November 2013 at 19:54.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Doesnt matter. My choices are not that easily swayed.
    So you own a small, carefully-considered, collection of watches then? Oh - hang on...

Craftsman
    I don't look at any of those adverts. I do think it's cool to see actual pictures of celebs and figure out what watches they are wearing..

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    So you own a small, carefully-considered, collection of watches then? Oh - hang on...
    Lol, not very carefully considered at all. Whatever catches my fancy but is totally of my own choice.
    Not really bothered by who likes or endorses or doesnt.
    Have I regretted some of my choices? Hell, yes. Plenty of them. But still, at the end my choices!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    If you were offered the same watch

By Mr. A.N.Other

And Mr.David Beckham(the footballer)

For the same price,then be completely honest and tell me which you would buy,oh and especially with something that came with it confirmed ownership.
    We all know which we would buy and anyone that says they wouldn't buy Mr.Beckhams is bending the truth a whole 9 yards.

I hate celebrity more than anyone on here,yet I would buy the one that has celebrity attachment for that possible added Ł value,we all know it works that way so don't try kid yourself it doesn't.
    Can't you see how this is a completely different scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lol, not very carefully considered at all. Whatever catches my fancy but is totally of my own choice.
    Not really bothered by who likes or endorses or doesnt.
    Have I regretted some of my choices? Hell, yes. Plenty of them. But still, at the end my choices!
    Right answer.

Master
    Makes no difference to me at all. If I like a watch and I can afford it, I will buy it. Couldn't care less if it's endorsed or not.

Depends on the celeb and the watch.

I always liked the Omega Seamaster and the fact that Prince William has worn one for ages makes me more likely to buy one.

However, I'm put even further off Breitling because of the Beckham endorsement.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mostly_lurking View Post
    Can't you see how this is a completely different scenario?
    No,but you know the point I was making tho.

Or maybe you don't!.

Celebrity to me means not a lot,but to some it does,and because of that it would make my decision to buy for that reason alone much easier,and so I'd buy for that reason only.

You/I all know celebrity attachment/endorsement whether we like it or not affects decision.

Love or hate,it's the way it is unfortunately.....And here to stay.

Celebrity or icon, a slight twist on endorsement.........

http://www.rolex.com/magazine/icons.html

Scroll down the page and you can click on a picture of an icon, some show the Rolex they wore. Winston Churchill and Elvis were interesting

I would never buy a watch due to a celebrity endorsement however it could certainly put me off buying one.
    I had toyed with the idea of getting a yellow gold Day date 2 however I recently saw a photo of one of the geezers
    from 'The Only Way Is Essex' wearing one- any doubts I had were 100% confirmed -and the yellow gold idea disappeared.

I don't believe I have ever bought or affected anything because a "celebrity" endorsed it.

Just because one did wouldn't necessarily put me off, mainly because I have no idea who most "celebrities" are.

But whoever it was who "endorsed" a product almost certainly got paid to do so, so I wouldn't ever actually believe that their opinion counted for anything....

I would like to say it doesn't make any difference to what I buy because I buy my watches for me!

I can say that I would never buy a watch purely because a celeb I like wears one. I have to like what I buy independent to anyone else's view. It's why I bought a PAM because I liked the design not because Stallone and Arnie own PAMs

However, I feel that it could have a more negative effect than positive. If I see one of those Made in Chelsea or Towie tossers then that would certainly put me off a model!

I wouldn't buy one because of it, then most here wouldn't either.

Yes, it is off-putting, so much so that I could no longer wear or own a "Bond" SMP and was very happy to see it gone. My 2254 is slightly tarnished with the same emotion, and that has to go too I think.

The pre-Bond AT Quartz is safe, for now!

Nop, would never fall for that.

I couldn't give a rusty nail for what any celebrity is wearing, endorsing, putting on their knuckles or shoving where the Sun don't shine.
    I buy what I like and wear what I want. If others choose to see me as a victim or marketing, or super cool because I wear the same watch as Jimmy Somerville, Craig David, Debbie Harry or Julie Andrews then that's their business.

Celebs don't sway me but tales of real life applications and exploits do. For example, I blame the German Lifeboat crew for the MG SAR and Yuichiro Muira for the Seiko Landmaster.

Master
    Glad to see that no one here is even slightly influenced by celebrities wearing watches - I mean, imagine wearing a watch just because Buzz Aldrin had one. As if anyone would buy a watch because of that, just imagine... Unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I would never buy a watch due to a celebrity endorsement however it could certainly put me off buying one..
    Isn't that just the same thing though? You're still being influenced by someone you probably don't know, either because they've been paid to endorse a watch or because of their own taste in watches has been captured by a photog. Whether you buy the watch on the back of that can't be generalised, but you're still being influenced.

And whether people care to admit it or not, they're more likely to sit up and take notice of a watch if it's worn by someone they consider cool, or easy to identify with (e.g. James Bond), than if it's on the wrist of someone at the other end of the celeb spectrum (e.g. presumably that Essex person). And either way, they are being influenced.

That's why companies spend obscene amounts of money on advertising. It works enough to make it worthwhile.

What I find interesting, and I suppose it isn't a practical pursuit for luxury watchmakers, is the influence on you of people you DO know. I'm thinking of Nike giving out trainers to school kids so they can show them off at school etc. As for watches, the people I know who wear Rolexs are all (without exception) tedious middle managers in my workplace. They do not inspire me to buy a Rolex and 'be like them'. Quite the opposite. [Please note, the Rolex example is true, but understand that I do not think ALL people who wear a Rolex watch are tedious middle managers.] That has way more influence on me than Roger Federer wearing one.
    Last edited by sean; 11th November 2013 at 14:22.

I've got no interest whatsoever in celebrities, what they do, what they wear, or anything else.
    I don't care if they can dance, sing, or skate on ice.
    And they've got to be pretty desperate to eat worms (or whatever) in the jungle.

A celebrity endorsment would turn me off straight away.
    How much more would you pay for a celebrity endorsed product?

I don't understand the celebrity obsessed culture we seem to have in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I wonder if Maurice Lacroix got good value with their "dosser gets lucky in charity hamper at homeless shelter" campaign featuring Sir Bob Geldof?
    I couldn't agree more and that strap line is complete marketing guff. Anyone remember the Bill Hicks anti-marketing rant? Oh the irony.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    I guess what's really getting people's backs up is the 'brand ambassador' thing. If we're honest we probably are influenced by celebrities we actually like, be it Albert Einstein, Buzz Aldrin, or indeed Daniel Craig. Daniel Craig is cool, Daniel Craig wears vintage Rolex, vintage Rolex must be cool, QED. But this is clearly his personal taste. The brand ambassador thing is just so open and blatant - you should like this watch because we have paid George Clooney / Roger Federer to wear it. Um, what? Why again? I guess this is just being honest about what is going on behind the scenes anyway, but it seems to be a step too far for most people here. Still seems to work though.

I suspect that ambassador featured marketing is targeted at watch buyers who sensibly spend less time contemplating its importance than we do here.
    What is that old line...oh yes...What do a Frog and a Joke have in common?....Neither work when you take them apart.

I once felt vaguely patronised by these adverts, but no longer because I now treat them as an unashamed tongue in cheek game, albeit one which though I choose not to play, is mildly amusing and costs nothing to spectate. Believe me, I say this without any hint of conceit, because whilst I may 'get' this bit of the illusion, I also know that the marketing machine has worked its spell on me in other more fiendishly clever ways. How? - well for one thing, I have a watch collection the scale of which defies all my normal powers of reasoning.
    I find brand loyalty (if that's the appropriate name) and the energies that intelligent, educated and informed men are prepared to devote to the defence of their preferences, as evidenced on this forum from time to time, even more bewildering and worthy of contemplation.
    Each to their own of course; in the meantime I find brand ambassadors, with the steely glint in their eyes, all a bit of harmless and for me, free fun.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 11th November 2013 at 23:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    What? Did somebody say something? I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention...

I think this could be the next "planking" however I do not want this image in my brain!

Time for some proper comedy TZ spoof photos

Craftsman
    http://watchesinmovies.info/

I changed my mind..

I'm going to get Dirty Harry's Timex.And Stephen Frys mystery watch caught my Eye.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    no,l

Leonardo De Caprio and his knuckle Tag says it all for me

That is such a monumentally stupid photograph.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    That is such a monumentally stupid photograph.

Simon
    I agree - if they are going to go to the trouble of paying him to go in the ad, why not actually let him wear the watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    no,l

Leonardo De Caprio and his knuckle Tag says it all for me

Completely agreed. I would like to see that moment in Tag's promotional meeting "Hey! I have idea; how about we start to wear watch with a different way!"

It looks sooooo stupid and makes me laugh when ever I see Tag's posters...

-OD

Master
    Actually I think there is a sort of semi-logic to these strange poses - watches look better when you can see a bit of bracelet on either side of the dial, so when they're too big they won't look so good on the wrist, as all you can see is the watch head. My guess is that Leonardo doesn't have particularly large wrists. And / or large watches look stupid at the best if times. Not that this watch is unusually huge, but even the 'average' 42mm is by definition a bit too big for half of us.

Your jumper needs a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    What? Did somebody say something? I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention...

"A man of little significance"

Only celeb that gets my attention is Wifey she wears a nice Sub. This thread would need to go in the boys room for pictures!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Actually I think there is a sort of semi-logic to these strange poses - watches look better when you can see a bit of bracelet on either side of the dial, so when they're too big they won't look so good on the wrist, as all you can see is the watch head. My guess is that Leonardo doesn't have particularly large wrists. And / or large watches look stupid at the best if times. Not that this watch is unusually huge, but even the 'average' 42mm is by definition a bit too big for half of us.
    I dont undersign that. I hate it. Most of us hates it, BUT its just clever marketing and it has nothing to do with Leonardos wrist size. You have to somehow be different; add something to pictures that people finds a bit odd and they are noticed -> sells goes up like a rocket.

-OD

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I couldn't agree more and that strap line is complete marketing guff. Anyone remember the Bill Hicks anti-marketing rant? Oh the irony.

Whilst I don't particularly want to be like Sir Bob, I think that's quite clever.

Maurice Lacroix aren't one of the 'usual suspects' and there's little doubt that Geldof (was, at least) known for not being a conventional follower of trends (would Live Aid ever have happened with Lewis Hamilton or Chris Martin at the helm?).

I won't rush out and buy one, anymore than I feel the desire for a modern Breitling due to the association with Travolta's bizarre 'far too black' buzz cut, but this sure as hell has a more positive effective on me than TAG's stupid 'How do you wear a watch?' images...

I'm a long term fan of sportscar racing (Le Mans and the like), but Tudor and Rolex's sponsorship of this kind of racing doesn't make me want one of their watches any more or less than I did before.

Longines' association with equestrianism, however, lifts my impression (no doubt the Swatch plan) of them as a 'classy, quality brand', although my ownership of a Hydroconquest was driven more by photos of the watch on forums than an ads I saw (to be honest, I've only been consciously aware of their advertising since owning a Longines - A bit like you never see a car you buy until you get one and then they're everywhere!).

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I really can't buy into this celebrity thing. They still scratch their a*** and fart in the morning like everybody else.

I'm ashamed to admit that I own a celebrity/fictional character endorsed watch......

Banned
    the association, legacy and history that a watch carries are all entirely irrelevant to a rugged individualist like me. I am my own man and make my own choices. i am only swayed by the views of geeks who can tell me whether i should appreciate the way somebody has polished a bit of metal inside the watch which i will never see.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That is an open door.

OBVIOUSLY celebrity endorsement sells big time. Otherwise it would not be such a popular tactic by manufacturers.

Members of watch fora are not a special breed and are just as affected both in positive and in negative manner like anyone else.

Have a look at the desireability of the Rolex Daytona among wis and non-wis alike.
    Even a generic bracelet gets tagged ŽNewmanŽ on TZ-UK!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    That is an open door.

OBVIOUSLY celebrity endorsement sells big time. Otherwise it would not be such a popular tactic by manufacturers.

Members of watch fora are not a special breed and are just as affected both in positive and in negative manner like anyone else.

Have a look at the desireability of the Rolex Daytona among wis and non-wis alike.
    Even a generic bracelet gets tagged ŽNewmanŽ on TZ-UK!!!
    I'm glad you find vintage Daytona Cosmographs 'generic'. I realise they're not up to GS standards, but 'generic' seems a bit harsh. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'm glad you find vintage Daytona Cosmographs 'generic'. I realise they're not up to GS standards, but 'generic' seems a bit harsh. ;-)

Blimey, Huertecilla should be a fisherman, he's great at getting a bite to every little bit of bait!

He has a point though, "Newman" connections are used to push up the price (to the unwary) of 'standard' models, same with "Steve McQueen" TAG Monacos.

Clearly, given the near universal use of 'celebs', it sells to a lot of people.

I just, funnily enough, saw a Breitling ad for their 'Bentley by Breitling" with some over-tattooed chav standing in front of an Audi S6 in drag. I'm sure it'll sell shed-loads to some people...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 12th November 2013 at 12:08.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

On this general topic (from here):

...the Toronto Star creates an interesting story about how influencer marketing exists within the city by profiling Samsung and the recent Toronto launch of its Galaxy Gear Smartwatch. Not familiar with influencer marketing? In a teeny nutshell, it is the smart-but-sneaky idea that people will be more likely to buy your product if people who they think are cooler than them talk about liking it. Samsung regularly gets hip Torontonians into a room and give them free stuff to meet this exact end.

In short - the celebrity endorsement thing puts me right off a watch. Whether I admire the celeb or not, they are being paid to wear it so it doesn't reflect their choices or character at all, it will be an Omega today and a chocolate bar tomorrow, it's just a pay cheque.

Thinking about this again I did buy a 5512 because Steve McQueen wore one and a 1655 because he didn't wear one.

Master
    Less.

I'm another less. If I want something I go and buy / save up and buy. The "right" celebrity would not put me off but the wrong one would make me run a mile!

A good product sells itself and does not need any endorsements.

Journeyman
    Really dont care. I must like to watch. It is so subjective that no commercial or celebrity cant influence it. On the other hand it can help to let you know that the watch is available.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I disagree - I would like to believe that we have enough knowledge about the subject to allow us to base our purchasing decisions on criteria other than celebrity endorsement. Non-watch-fora-members have no such knowledge, so are easier prey to the advertisers.

I've been buying quality watches for about 15 years, and only recently bought my first Rolex, after having owned Omega, Breitling, Minerva, Temption, Jaeger leCoultre, Seiko and Revue Thommen.

I'm afraid I'm not rich enough to buy expensive watches because a celebrity says I should, so my purchase decisions are based on other much more relevant criteria of aesthetics, quality and horological interest.

My recent purchase of a Rolex Milgauss is just as much an informed decision as any of my other purchases. I was quite aware of my reasons for buying it beforehand, and none of those reasons featured a celebrity.

Less, it fact I find it a turn off. Will keep me from buying, even if I like the watch.

Journeyman
    I don't really care about celebs advertising watches. I still buy what I like and can afford if they advertise or not.