closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you more or less likely to buy a celebrity-endorsed watch?

Craftsman

Are you more or less likely to buy a celebrity-endorsed watch?

I must admit, it makes me cringe when a watch is too closely associated with a celebrity, whether it be David Beckham, Daniel Craig or worse, the fictional James Bond.

Many of these celebrity-endorsed models have enough intrinsic value to stand on their own, and for me, the celebrity endorsement can make them seem like 'wannabe' accessories, and I think it diminishes them.

In particular, the Bond watch obsession really grates on me, though it probably wouldn't stop me buying the watch if I wanted it.
    Last edited by mostly_lurking; 9th November 2013 at 21:25.

I would avoid anything heavily promoted in print or media advertising, although I have bought a couple after seeing worn in films - Breitling Chrono Avenger like Leo's in Blood Diamond being one, and Clint's 'Root Beer' GMT seen in Firefox et al

The one that really bugs me is Leonardo DiCaprio. For crying out loud, he's not even wearing the bloody thing

Less likely for me, really puts me off.

Even if a celeb is just pictured wearing a watch I like it ruins it for me.

I have a Pulsar LED which was one of the first bond watches, I went for the Pulsar date as the Bond one didn't have the date, so I can tell myself it's really not a "Bond" watch.
    Last edited by jegger; 9th November 2013 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    The one that really bugs me is Leonardo DiCaprio. For crying out loud, he's not even wearing the bloody thing
    I agree completely. Nobody ever sits gazing off into space with his watch wrapped around his knuckles.

Craftsman

Hmm..

There is always a place for advertising in a consumer society - but this does not have a bearing on my watch purchases.

Good question though.

Grand Master
    I tend to avoid anything promoted by 'ambassadors' or the likes, and not just watches, as i have a real dislike for buying stuff that is 20% more expensive because they've had to pay famous people to wear their stuff for free.

Banned
    I don't get why anyone would not buy because of an endorsement.

Certain well known members on here sell watches easier because they've owned it, so even the TZ-UK population get suckered...

I don't care about celebrities at all in anything.
    Have my own taste and only respect the opinions that come from the real aficionados.
    And above all, I buy and wear watches only for my own pleasure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    There is always a place for advertising in a consumer society - but this does not have a bearing on my watch purchases.

Good question though.
    I agree entirely; I'm not naive enough to think otherwise, but with many of us on here, I would guess the effect is the opposite of the advertiser's intention.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    So you only buy watches by brands you've never heard of?

I wouldn't not buy a watch because it's been advertised by a celeb. But I don't like products that are rebranded to a celebrity, for which you have to pay a premium i.e. Beats by Dre.

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    I agree completely. Nobody ever sits gazing off into space with his watch wrapped around his knuckles.
    What? Did somebody say something? I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention...

Craftsman
    The short answer:No

I am at that age where no amount of advertising will make me buy anything.Being a natural tightarse its all about value for money nowadays,not the status or perceived prestige or value of certain brands.

Which is why (takes a deep breath and waits for the backlash) will never buy a Rolex.

Master
    I'd like to think neither.

Would probably put me off unless it was something somebody über cool used to wear because they wanted to e.g. Steve McQueen - 5512, Monaco etc
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post

I am at that age where no amount of advertising will make me buy anything.Being a natural tightarse its all about value for money nowadays,not the status or perceived prestige or value of certain brands.

Which is why (takes a deep breath and waits for the backlash) will never buy a Rolex.
    So, how are you aware of what is the best value for money?
    In going in a reverse direction from "prestige" brands you are still following the same prompts the rest of us are...

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

Nicely done. You're making me rethink my position on knuckle watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    So, how are you aware of what is the best value for money?
    In going in a reverse direction from "prestige" brands you are still following the same prompts the rest of us are...
    In short,how much of a mark up on an item compared to actual build cost is my rough guide (if taking about a watch for instance) compared to the "what can we get away with charging" that seems to be abundant with products..the Dr Dre headphones mentioned earlier in the thread as another example of an overpriced product if your taking sound and build quality for the price compared to other brands.

IF someone whats to buy a product with a massive mark up on production cost thats fine,but I try to avoid it wherever I can.

Master
    If I like it, and I can afford it, I buy it.

I dont give a toss who endorses it, one way or another.

I'll bite...I agree a Rolex is expensive for what it is but it is value for money, in the sense it will keep it's value better than most other watches, pay 5k for a rolex now and you'll be able to sell it for 5k in a couple of years, that has to be value for money, 2 years of watch wearing for free.

The short answer:No...Which is why (takes a deep breath and waits for the backlash) will never buy a Rolex.
    I thought like that once until I bought a Rolex and then I bought another 7 over a couple of years but I am down to one now, which is worn all the time.

Much, much, less likely.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    no,l

Leonardo De Caprio and his knuckle Tag says it all for me

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Easy, James Bond.. Sub ! Yes please

Same here, every word.

The next question then is; why do brands do it? 100% of those surveyed on here aren't interested so why do they bother? Unless people aren't bring entirely honest with themselves ;)

I have only ever bought one watch after direct product placement; the IWC Aquatiner in Lucky Number Slevin. I hope everything else I own is from I densest thought but were all influenced in one way or another.

Rolex, Omega, Breguet, TAG and Heuer, Panerai and IWC to name a few have suckered me in with great marketing. Not necessarily celebs, just good campaigns and the right as in the right place for me.

Blancpain and JLC I never saw any marketing for before buying and I do admit that gives them a 'purity' of purpose in my eyes.

However, Brad Pitt wearing TAG for a magazine; no thanks. Brad Pitt in a candid shot in the street wearing a jumbo Nautilus; mmm-kay that's pretty cool...

No backlash, your choice of course but also your loss. They have made some fine watches. I have had a dozen through the years, only one remains after a recent clear out; a 22 year old 16600 Sea Dweller looking steadily more battered every year. An over-engineering triumph IMHO and still a piece I am proud to wear whatever direction my collection is going.
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 10th November 2013 at 09:45.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely not impressed or motivated to buy a watch because some celeb has one which is likely to be a freebie in any case. Much more interested in the opinions of knowledgeable TZ-UK'rs than some 'star'.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    The next question then is; why do brands do it? 100% of those surveyed on here aren't interested so why do they bother?
    I guess because it works, goes without saying that 98% of buyers aren't WIS so may happily stumble into a purchase because their favourite celebrity has put their name to whatever it is that week.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

If say, a woman's choice of watch gift for her say, boyfriend was inspired by an advertisement featuring say, Leonardo De Caprio then would the boyfriend be flattered....perhaps that is the question we should be considering.

Sadly never happened to me though.

Perhaps it's just about increasing/maintaining brand awareness.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 10th November 2013 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    I don't care about celebrities at all in anything.
    Have my own taste and only respect the opinions that come from the real aficionados.
    And above all, I buy and wear watches only for my own pleasure.
    ^^^^^^ This

I wouldn't buy anything with the endorsers name on the dial.... until I remembered RM and the Nadal watch.
    For that I'm willing to make an exception.

Nicely done. You're making me rethink my position on knuckle watches.
    ....and polo necks!

In short,how much of a mark up on an item compared to actual build cost is my rough guide (if taking about a watch for instance) compared to the "what can we get away with charging" that seems to be abundant with products..the Dr Dre headphones mentioned earlier in the thread as another example of an overpriced product if your taking sound and build quality for the price compared to other brands.

IF someone whats to buy a product with a massive mark up on production cost thats fine,but I try to avoid it wherever I can.
    Ok...

So, tell me, what watches meet your criteria?

Journeyman
    I'd be much less likely. Some celebs would turn me off a watch completely. (I'd have to kill myself if a Beckham of either sex advertised JLC or Lange for example). However, I suspect that those companies are not targeting the majority of people who are influenced by a Beckham.

I also have a bit of a thing about other types of tie-up. The one that springs to mind is the JLC 'Navy Seals' watches. I love the Master Compressor watches but can't imagine buying a navy seal version (apologies to those who own one - it is all about personal tastes and differences) because I am neither American nor a Navy Seal. This would also apply to 'Top Gun' or 'Bentley' tie ups and the like

Each to their own however. I personally have a couple of old Rolexes given to me by my father and grandfather. Unfortunately, I really don't like Rolex and never wear them, but because of how I got them, I'll never get rid of them. I doubt that Rolex will read this and give a damn, nor should they and to all proud and satisfied Rolex owners - more power to yer elbow and carry on enjoying your watches!!

Quote Originally Posted by boddah View Post
    I guess because it works, goes without saying that 98% of buyers aren't WIS so may happily stumble into a purchase because their favourite celebrity has put their name to whatever it is that week.
    Completely agree. Around the senior management table at my work its Rolex and Omega all round. They just want the "best" from the high street so people know that they are successful and luxury brand recognition gives them what they want. They have no interest in my Precista's, Stowa's or Sinn's and I completely understand and accept that.

I wonder if Maurice Lacroix got good value with their "dosser gets lucky in charity hamper at homeless shelter" campaign featuring Sir Bob Geldof?
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    The topic of whether advertising works comes up fairly regularly, and the default response seems to be people denying that anyone else can ever influence them about anything, as if their manhood has somehow been threatened. And yet millions upon millions are spent on advertising because it does work. Various Bond watches pop up in the sales section with disproportionate regularity and always sell swiftly. McQueen Rolex sell for fortunes, even though to my eye they are not as nice as some other, cheaper (and admittedly less rare) vintage Daytonas. And while we conciously think we are too clever for advertising, if we want a can of cola, and we have a choice between Coke and some brand we've never heard of for a few pence less, we'll choose the brand who's logo we've seen a million times before every time.

Conciously, we often reject obvious and cheesy advertising, but what we're missing is that most of the effect is unconscious. The brain forms links between things all the time, that's what it does. See a watch next to a film star a hundred times, and while conciously you are rejecting the stupid marketing, an unconcious part of your mind is still concluding that watches have something to do with film stars. The effect only starts to wear off if you're so offended by the advertising that the image of the watch starts to attach to the feeling of being irritated.

I do agree that seeing the wrong celebrity endorsing a product would out me off - for instance, any footballer, as I don't happen to like football or want to be mistaken for a footballer. I'm also put off the blue Omega Aqua Terra, which is a great watch, because of the Bond endorsement - even though I also like both Bond and Daniel Craig. I just don't want to look like I bought the watch for this reason. I guess a lot of other people here who are watch enthusiasts and are very heavily focused on knowing about the actual watches when making decisions feel the same way. But this is very much a minority point of view, and watch companies use advertising and celebrity endorsements because they work. And more often than we'd like to admit, even on us.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

When will this KW be on the SC and does it come with signed photo?

As for the OPs question: absolutely. I'm just disappointing that me of my favourite celebs have chosen not to endorse a watch; I'd wait for days in the cold to purchase any time piece endorsed by Kerry Katona or Rylan Clark.

Last edited by AM94; 10th November 2013 at 11:54.

I sat next to Kerry Katona in a restaurant a long time ago (2000-ish). She was wearing a Cartier Tank.
    ______

​Jim.

I was quite happy to wear Ducati t-shirts when I had a Ducati and now I don't they will be all going. I didn't wear BMW jackets even tho I had the car but I wore a Ford jacket when I was selling Ford cars at the time, and because they were warm!

I owned a Ducati but I didn't want a Ducati watch even though there was the new Tudor chrono out which was better than the previous offerings.

Any clothing I have either has no logo or a subtle one that is small.

I wear a Rolex because I like it, not because anyone endorses it or because of Rolex promoted events.

The only thing I can remember buying as a result of a 'star endorsement' was when I went to see The Who at Swansea fc. and inside the programme was a picture of Roger jumping up wearing Kickers. I bought some (for the not inconsiderable cost at the time of £16, it was '76 IIRC) because I really liked them, they were expensive and the last ones I bought was in Palma 1994 as I was still wearing them all the time.

I did like the 'Steve McQueen' advert for the Ford Puma and I persuaded my then wife to get one for her company car but it was a hoot to drive.

Craftsman
    I'm guessing the difference between TZ-UK members and 'norms', is that we have enough horological knowledge (even if it's only a little), to inform our purchases; in the absence of this, it's easy for the brands to latch on to celebrity associations to sell their stuff.

If we like a watch enough, we'll buy it in spite of, rather than because of, a celebrity endorsement!

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    no,l

I'm now wondering if they had to do this because the watches looked absurdly large on his actual wrist.

Blog Entries
    I'm now wondering if they had to do this because the watches looked absurdly large on his actual wrist.
    <chortle> It is a bizarre image, isn't it. Looks like he's going to use it in a fight as a knuckle duster, 007-style.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The topic of whether advertising works comes up fairly regularly, and the default response seems to be people denying that anyone else can ever influence them about anything, as if their manhood has somehow been threatened. And yet millions upon millions are spent on advertising because it does work. Various Bond watches pop up in the sales section with disproportionate regularity and always sell swiftly. McQueen Rolex sell for fortunes, even though to my eye they are not as nice as some other, cheaper (and admittedly less rare) vintage Daytonas. And while we conciously think we are too clever for advertising, if we want a can of cola, and we have a choice between Coke and some brand we've never heard of for a few pence less, we'll choose the brand who's logo we've seen a million times before every time.

Conciously, we often reject obvious and cheesy advertising, but what we're missing is that most of the effect is unconscious. The brain forms links between things all the time, that's what it does. See a watch next to a film star a hundred times, and while conciously you are rejecting the stupid marketing, an unconcious part of your mind is still concluding that watches have something to do with film stars. The effect only starts to wear off if you're so offended by the advertising that the image of the watch starts to attach to the feeling of being irritated.

I do agree that seeing the wrong celebrity endorsing a product would out me off - for instance, any footballer, as I don't happen to like football or want to be mistaken for a footballer. I'm also put off the blue Omega Aqua Terra, which is a great watch, because of the Bond endorsement - even though I also like both Bond and Daniel Craig. I just don't want to look like I bought the watch for this reason. I guess a lot of other people here who are watch enthusiasts and are very heavily focused on knowing about the actual watches when making decisions feel the same way. But this is very much a minority point of view, and watch companies use advertising and celebrity endorsements because they work. And more often than we'd like to admit, even on us.
    Very well put - I agree entirely.

Advertising, either blatant or product placement / endorsement is just all around us. I would like to think that it might get me to consider a product, but I wouldn't blindly purchase or be overly swayed by an advert.

I was also put off the Omega AT because of the Bond connection - it was everywhere when I went shopping for a decent watch this summer. There were other reasons, but it did play on my mind a little that I might be considered a sad wannabee if I bought James Bonds watch. It also put me off the PO too a little, because the Omega boutique was full of Bond pictures ( and George Clooney... )

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Gives a whole new meaning to 'multifunction watch'

Celebrity endorsement obviously works or the watch companies wouldn't spend their money on it.

The big money is to be made in creating an aspirational product, celebrity association is part of this process. Why do you think there are so many people prepared to pay huge premiums, over any reasonable relative value, for thing like handbags or watches?

The vast majority of responders say they are immune from this but what sort of watches are popular on here, either owned or aspired to?

People are prepared to pay over the odds for this type of aspirational product.

As an example I was contacted through PM on another watch forum by someone who tracked me down via Google, joined the forum and offered to buy something I had and which he had been trying to buy for years.

He is a European DJ and a big fan of a famous musician, he has collected guitars connected with him and wants the watch because it is associated with him. I have agreed a deal and he will be flying over in a couple of weeks to do the deal as he does not want to risk the post.

I think it is a fair deal but he will be paying a very large premium over what he would pay for a similar watch with no association. Make no mistake we are all susceptible to this aspirational marketing, consciously or not.

Mitch

Grand Master
    If you were offered the same watch

By Mr. A.N.Other

And Mr.David Beckham(the footballer)

For the same price,then be completely honest and tell me which you would buy,oh and especially with something that came with it confirmed ownership.
    We all know which we would buy and anyone that says they wouldn't buy Mr.Beckhams is bending the truth a whole 9 yards.

I hate celebrity more than anyone on here,yet I would buy the one that has celebrity attachment for that possible added £ value,we all know it works that way so don't try kid yourself it doesn't.

Master
    Your analogy works only when viewing the resale value of the item bought, not it's intrinsic value as a keeper.
    In your scenario, if the watch was unlikely to be ever sold, then the DB-provenance adds nothing, if you're not the type to get worked up about celebrity status.

Then again, does it depend on the celebrity being used?
    Would we, as supposedly non-conformist to typical advertising, be more inclined to buy a watch which certain celebrities have had a hand in designing?
    I'm thinking of (and specifically only know of) Michael Schumacher and Audmars Piguet.

Equally, if watches from say David Gilmour/Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) became available, would there be a clamouring for theirs at a premium, even if just regular plain old versions of the model, that you could've/still can buy?