closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5513 Sub - please educate me...

5513 Sub - please educate me...

I have been looking at vintage Rolexes for awhile (like many on here I am sure) and dreamt of owning a Newman Daytona or 1655 Explorer 2. But the prices have just been too steep for me to justify it though I came close on that Explorer 2.

I hadn't given much thought to the vintage Sub route until I dropped into a second hand dealer at lunch and saw a lovely 5513 in superb, original condition (1988). Now I have my next grail.

I have sworn off buying any watches this year and this one seems very aggressively priced so doubt it hangs around long. Anyway the journey is normally better than the destination! So now I have a few months to learn all about the 5513 and where best to source a good example.

All advice warmly received...

One final thing, the 5513 I tried today was beautiful but the bezel, though uni-directional, rotated anti clockwise smoothly with no clicks. I assume this needs adjustment and should have the 'clicks'?

There is a great source on The Rolex Forum, http://www.5513mattedial.com The 5513 doesn't have a click bezel, it is a smooth rotation both directions. It is activated by pushing it down to turn it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I have been looking at vintage Rolexes for awhile (like many on here I am sure) and dreamt of owning a Newman Daytona or 1655 Explorer 2. But the prices have just been too steep for me to justify it though I came close on that Explorer 2. I hadn't given much thought to the vintage Sub route until I dropped into a second hand dealer at lunch and saw a lovely 5513 in superb, original condition (1988). Now I have my next grail. I have sworn off buying any watches this year and this one seems very aggressively priced so doubt it hangs around long. Anyway the journey is normally better than the destination! So now I have a few months to learn all about the 5513 and where best to source a good example. All advice warmly received... One final thing, the 5513 I tried today was beautiful but the bezel, though uni-directional, rotated anti clockwise smoothly with no clicks. I assume this needs adjustment and should have the 'clicks'?
    I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure these vintage subs don't have clicking bezels - this was introduced later.

There are numerous different 5513's that command different valuations depending on the rarity of the dial ranging from gilt dials to metres first (i.e. metres mentioned before feet on the dial) and topper dials (submariner name above depth rating). The aforementioned are likely to see the watch gradually rise in value over the years, if that's your thing.

The one you have seen will have the white gold surrounds on the pots so is slightly easier to come by than one with applied markers (the 14060 model looks practically identical and was in production until a couple of years ago). I'd say that this is the least desirable 5513 which may account for its nice pricing. A good original, regular feet first is likely to be 5k ish unless you get a private sale depending on box/ papers and service history

The most important thing for me would be originality and all matching parts including bezel pip, hands, pots etc. good luck.

Master
    The 5513 is a great choice in any of its guises but for me the early ones have a real presence about them, as stated learn all you can and make your mind up which you prefer then go hunting! Good Luck!

A little bit OT, but does Rolex provide matte service dials for 5513s?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtaelsgold View Post
    No - the used market can provide them though (at a price!)

Study the idiosyncracies well before you take the plunge (Fat font bezel insert, twinlock / triple lock crown, polished lugs, bracelet/endlink combinations, feet first, meters first, maxi dial, lollipop, gilt dial, bart simpson, smudge dial, swiss, service dial etc... etc.. all this should become familiar soon.

Gratuitous shot:

Last edited by Xantiagib; 25th July 2014 at 14:44.

Craftsman
    I know very little about vintage subs to my embarrassment

I was looking at 5513's the other day and came across my birth year one. This has always been attractive to me, to own a sub from the year I was born in the mid 60's. I noticed that it was in bloody good nick but then read that it had a service dial and "newer style Rolex oyster submariner" bracelet.

it sure makes it look better, but I'm guessing that it knocks some value off?

Red face

Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by fourtaelsgold View Post

Red face Service dials would know a significant amount off the value...

[ I meant 'KNOCK'! ] ...perhaps 30/40%! The value is in originality (i.e. as close to how the watch came out of the factory - including as little polishing as possible).

Also, be careful when sellers (even respected Vintage dealers) describe a watch as 'original' Rolex. This does not necessarily mean that the dial/hands/bezel were never replaced - as long as the service replacements were 'original Rolex', as opposed to after-market, then the watch can be described as such.

Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    I know very little about vintage subs to my embarrassment

I was looking at 5513's the other day and came across my birth year one. This has always been attractive to me, to own a sub from the year I was born in the mid 60's. I noticed that it was in bloody good nick but then read that it had a service dial and "newer style Rolex oyster submariner" bracelet.

it sure makes it look better, but I'm guessing that it knocks some value off?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Study the idiosyncracies well before you take the plunge (Fat font bezel insert, twinlock / triple lock crown, polished lugs, bracelet/endlink combinations, feet first, meters first, maxi dial, lollipop, gilt dial, bart simpson, smudge dial, swiss, service dial etc... etc.. all this should become familiar soon.

Gratuitous shot:

Just a quick question. Are the hands original, they look less faded than the dial?

Do they age at the same rate?

Tread very carefully, if possible never buy without seeing and handling the watch...its a jungle out there!
    Vintage Rolex Forum a good place to start but go easy "grasshopper" - do lots and lots of research.
    For what its worth here's mine.....love it - but it was a labour of love to get it like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Just a quick question. Are the hands original, they look less faded than the dial?

Do they age at the same rate?
    Sadly not they even still glow ......shock horror for vintage rolexes ......but I knew this when i got it, price reflected this but still has the twinlock crown.....

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Sadly not they even still glow ......shock horror for vintage rolexes ......but I knew this when i got it, price reflected this but still has the twinlock crown.....
    I agree that there seems to be a "it has to be original or it's not right" feeling amongst the Vintage community at the moment, and
    there seems to be a premium on old and in some cases - tatty. I decided to restore my 5513 as best as I could to how it actually was, I had
    already paid a considerable premium for a great original dial and handset, and case, plus all papers and baubles, so it seemed the right thing to do. It
    was - as LTF warned - a bit of a money pit. Would I do it this way with the next one? Probably not - but I would go in eyes open and only buy when
    absolutely sure everything was right, or not. I am actually looking at several GMT Masters which have service hands, and no papers, one of them
    very nice indeed has a service dial as well!

Banned
    I want to flog mine, but you know what, it’s a chore.

Why?

Because once sold, will the buyer moan because it’s been polished one micron more than they expected? Is the bracelet stretch one degree off acceptable? Will it get lost in the post?

Sellers can struggle too...

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I want to flog mine, but you know what, it’s a chore.

Why?

Because once sold, will the buyer moan because it’s been polished one micron more than they expected? Is the bracelet stretch one degree off acceptable? Will it get lost in the post?

Sellers can struggle too...

That's a beauty :)

This one's for sale, if anybody's interested...

Joke
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th July 2014 at 12:19.

Was just reaching for the cheque book........ ;-)

A timely thread this one seeing as I'm currently looking for a birth year watch (1979). The 5513 is very much on my radar as it's within the price range I'm willing to spend and just look so cool on a Nato strap. I still don't own a Rolex and had been considering the new 116600 Sea Dweller but the idea of a vintage sub has always been on the cards; so why not kill two birds with one stone! This one caught my eye:

http://www.watchcentre.com/product/r...ner-5513/2304#

but from my research it looks to have a later dial in it (Maxi V perhaps?) as I notice the white gold surrounds unless I'm mistaken? I actually quite like the look of those surrounds but I'm guessing this one might not actually be a 1979 watch which would kind of defeat my objective here..

It's certainly not as easy as buying new :D

I would also recommend checking out the SF based HQ Milton boys, as their portfolio contain pretty much everything vintage Rolex related or they can get it for you sooner or later

http://www.hqmilton.com/vintage-wristwatches/for-sale

Craftsman
    +1 for HQMilton. Jacek is a pleasure to work with.