closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bremont - what have they done?

Hybrid View

“We are not leaving behind the idea of bringing watchmaking back to the UK and we want to still be seen as a British challenger — but the Britishness will be expressed much more through exploration, designs, colours and references to the golden days of British watchmaking.”

Inspirational stuff

They have nicked the new Logo from my old house hallway

I think that I'd be much more likely to buy one of the Zero West watches rather than anything from the new Bremont range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post

https://clipart.com/download.php?iid=494818

It’s a very common icon.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    You lived in the NATO HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You lived in the NATO HQ?

Not a fan of the new stuff. I suppose it’s got us all talking about the brand, but yeah, they’re all a bit “home shopping” or kickstarter for my liking.

Considering what company’s like Farer, or Christopher Ward offer for half the price it’s hard to get on board with these things.
    Still, the marketing bods must know what they’re after. As mentioned by another poster I don’t think “we” are the target demographic. They’ve probably got all the enthusiasts on board already, and after running out of manky desks to smash up and stick in the case back maybe it’s time for a new direction.

Dare I say it, but I quite like the Terra Nova Chronograph!

Would need a healthy discount first though.

Master
    I'm more interested to see the rumoured terra nova tourbillon dual time.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    “We are not leaving behind the idea of bringing watchmaking back to the UK and we want to still be seen as a British challenger — but the Britishness will be expressed much more through exploration, designs, colours and references to the golden days of British watchmaking.”

Inspirational stuff
    That just about sums it up doesn't it? Tragic.

I've never been a fan of the watches or the faux heritage but definitely supported their desire to bring watch manufacturing back to the UK, but this ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    That just about sums it up doesn't it? Tragic.

I've never been a fan of the watches or the faux heritage but definitely supported their desire to bring watch manufacturing back to the UK, but this ...
    Agree entirely with this. I supported their desire to bring watch manufacturing to the UK.

Whilst I've never owned a Bremont, I respected the Martin Baker series as it was billed as a watch strong enough to survive an ejector seat. It went well with the idea of a tough , tool adventure watch.

These new offerings don't offer the same kind of feeling.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Awful watches, terrible change of strategy. Meaningless new logo.

The design feels a whole class below where they were previously.

On the plus side retailers will have to discount the now very out dated stock in order to shift it and make way for the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    Whilst I've never owned a Bremont, I respected the Martin Baker series as it was billed as a watch strong enough to survive an ejector seat.
    Agree…I think the MB branding was an excellent move, also making it a watch they’d give to ejectees, much like the MB tie. The watch also looked well designed and original.

Was never really a fan of any of their other watches to be honest…it’s probably because of their lack of history. I tend to like watches that have vintage roots.

I wonder if they will persist with the special editions that have a piece of something random in them. I notice Breitling have started doing that with their new orbiter aerospace.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    the Britishness will be expressed much more through exploration, designs, colours and references to the golden days of British watchmaking.”
    and then they take on an American surfer as an ambassador......

the 'Britishness' has to be in the engineering. British design and manufacture or at least a desire to be doing that in the future. That's what the English brothers had in mind when they started the company. The new direction doesn't seem to have any Britishness in it as far as I can tell?

I do wonder what Ben Saunders take on the new Terra Nova will be. The original limited edition was released on the back of his record breaking polar expedition. Imagine having a watch effectively named after you then some years later the name being used as a design decision. Sort of reminds me of the 'turbo' label on the Porsche Taycan electric car.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    and then they take on an American surfer as an ambassador......
    Laird Hamilton is 60 years old surfer, Jason Fox 47, Military Veteran, Jimmy Chin 51 year old climber. They're certainly aiming for the older watch buyer.

In theory, the TZ audience is Bremont's target market. It's amazing how far off they are. The new branding and products look to be designed by non watch people.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Laird Hamilton is 60 years old surfer, Jason Fox 47, Military Veteran, Jimmy Chin 51 year old climber. They're certainly aiming for the older watch buyer.

In theory, the TZ audience is Bremont's target market. It's amazing how far off they are. The new branding and products look to be designed by non watch people.
    I’m a bit lost with which companies are targeting which demographic. I’d have put TZ mostly as 40-retiree age bracket and a majority Rolex consumers. I though Bremont was chasing the younger market with these watches in the £3-4k bracket…competing with Tudor and Tag etc. I guess my perception might be off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’m a bit lost with which companies are targeting which demographic. I’d have put TZ mostly as 40-retiree age bracket and a majority Rolex consumers. I though Bremont was chasing the younger market with these watches in the £3-4k bracket…competing with Tudor and Tag etc. I guess my perception might be off.
    Good question ... I can't see many under 40s dropping ££££ on a mechanical watch ...

All the sub 40s are either no watch ("I have a phone") or SmartWatch (Apple/Garmin) ... trying to carve out a business for expensive mechanical watches from "youngsters" seems a tough segment to crack ...

I guess we have to look at the company / brand as before and after the 'change'. Since their inception they've had an identity and an ethos. Some haven't liked it but it's been there all the same. You knew a Bremont when you saw one. This new company will operate in a different market and with a different identity. What that identity is, from the watches I've seen in this release, isn't very clear. These new watches are very ordinary and don't retain the ethos or USPs of Bremont IMO.

But a new fanbase will emerge and I'm sure the company will be just as successful or even more so which I assume is the intention. What I cannot for the life of me understand is why the brothers have allowed this to happen. They've worked so hard and for so long to build that brand and following for it to be diminished in this way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What I cannot for the life of me understand is why the brothers have allowed this to happen.
    You can't sell your company and expect to retain control, I have seen it happen a number of times, the new owners always wish to stamp their mark on their new acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    the TZ audience isn't anyones target market. A minority of watch enthusiasts isn't going to keep any company afloat. Just my opinion but Bremonts target audience used to be reasonably affluent middle aged men and women who didn't want to be part of the crowd and had a little national pride. Their target audience with the new releases are 20 to 50 something year old men and may be women who would usually buy a less expensive TAG and aspire toward a Tudor or Omega. High street shoppers, not watch enthusiasts.

Master
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    …. aspire toward a Tudor or Omega..
    At those prices if they aspire to a Tudor they could buy one, granted Omega is a step up in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    At those prices if they aspire to a Tudor they could buy one, granted Omega is a step up in price.
    I wasn't meaning to reference the middle ground, more so that Bremont might be (badly) trying to divert customers away from Tudor and may be to a lesser extent Omega.